Update on bonding of my 2 boars

• Thread starter Thread starter squeakywheeky
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

squeakywheeky

My 11 week old was introduced to a new 6 week old today. I was so nervous about it for fear of the unknown.

I'd put them both in the hallway (neutral to both of them) and allowed them to 'play' with one another. Although I'd seen Trek popcorning before I have never seen him so excited or so unhibited. Normally on floor time he would nervously skulk about but today I was invisible.

There were lots of squeeking, running around each other, new piggy Puddles was sniffing Trek bottom, they had eaten some greens (moreso Trek) and then huddled together under carboard tunnel i'd made for them. Thay were quiet in there which made me wonder.

while they were in there I decided I'd try them both in Trek's cage. I had sorted a makeshift cage out for Puddles but was so pleased how they had got on I decided to give it ago. I cleaned and disinfected his cage and accessories and put them both in there.

Puddles went straight for the darkest corneer and Trek muched on some pellets. All was quiet in there for about 30 mins. Then it started..

Trek began walking round Puddles, sometimes looking like he was walking straight of him. Trek's body was low and to the ground, slowly walking round and what sounded like purring - I wasn't getting happy vibes from it though. This continued but I didn't feel uncomfortable, I didn't feel like they were about to fight. He started mounting him and er.. thrusting for want of a better word!

This behaviour continued throughout 45 mins playtime on the floor. I'm not too worried. I am concerned that Puddles Wheek sounded like he was shrieking at times but Trek was no where near him when he did this.

As we speak they are lying together in the darkest corner of the hutch. Puddles has been staying in there for long period but Trek comes out for food. This worries me as Puddles hasn't eaten a great deal and I've not seen him have water. I have just got him today so maybe he's petrified just yet.

Trek still makes those long purring noises whenever he goes back for a kip after eating. Need to educate myself on what noises mean.

Thanks for reading :)

Sounds like normal boar behaviour! ;D

Hope things continue to go well and that you have a peaceful night. Lots of hugs and can't wait to see some pigtures!

Yup sounds normal, Trek's just letting the new guy know he's top pig. Wouldn't worry about the new guy too much, he's had a lot to deal with, new home, new mate, new cage and a big scary human thing (my pigs are still convinced I'm a big scary human thing unless I have food in my hand and then I'm ok). Hope it continues to go well.

Sounds positive so far... bit of bonding going on in that dark corner no doubt as both sound a little apprehensive about floortime at the moment. Hope that things continue to run smoothly :)

There just sorting out whos boss, ive had my two for about 7 months and they are 9 months old but they still rumble at one another and have the occassional row, dont worry I'm sure it will be fine.

some of mine still have the odd rumble months after bonding just keep an eye on them but sounds good to me ^-^

Sounds good so far!

I am a bonding wuss.... I spend most of the time feeling completely sick until the pecking order is established!

Beaney said:
I am a bonding wuss.... I spend most of the time feeling completely sick until the pecking order is established!

me too
I'm one of those that if they argue i take them apart again,lol

Sehnsucht said:
Beaney said:

me too
I'm one of those that if they argue i take them apart again,lol

Me three, we are hoping to bond our 'special needs' piggie with a pal at some point and we're not too sure how to go about it!

Sounds like your boys are doing great squeekywheeky, isn't watching them popcorn the most uplifting sight? ;D

Aw it's lovely. I've yet to see pop-corning from Puddles but i just can't wait till they're comfortable enough to be playing happily together.

I've had both of them out individually (confidence in handling/picking up etc is still quite low so I don't try to get them out together. Asked hubby if he'd help me tomorrow as I can't wait to have them both together) again tonight and Puddles was much more calmer.. laughing inside at Trek - he must now know that he's going to be spoilt rotten and just sits there waiting to be picked up.

I'm loving my piggies :smitten:

I'm (hopefully) collecting my rescue piggy tomorrow. I'm not 100% sure how quickly to introduce him to Tiger. We have their cages close to each other, would it be better to leave them to get used to each other from afar for a day or so or should I let them have a run in our hallway tomorrow with towels at the ready in case?

katiep said:
I'm (hopefully) collecting my rescue piggy tomorrow. I'm not 100% sure how quickly to introduce him to Tiger. We have their cages close to each other, would it be better to leave them to get used to each other from afar for a day or so or should I let them have a run in our hallway tomorrow with towels at the ready in case?

Can anyone advise?

Id say let them get used to eachothers scents first... then introduce them...
Hope it goes well :)

katiep said:

I would put their cages side by side for a couple of days to let them get used to the sound and smell of each other, then try them together on a lap. If they snuggle up together happily, try them on neutral territory. If they appear tense, then keep trying them on a lap for about half an hour every day until they are settling happily together, then try on neutral ground.
Good luck! ;)

Thanks for the advice, they have been in their cages next to each other for 2 days no, so we gave them both a bath today on the advice of the rescue as it helps them to bond, them dried them on our knees - no sign of tension so we let them have a little run around and they seemed fine! They sniffed each other, then pootled about chirping. We didn't keep them out for too long in case they were a bit stressed after the bath, but so far so good. They have gone back into their own cages tongiht and I will be keeping a close eye on them but I hope they will become buddies. :)

Hmm, they were Ok yesterday running round the conservatory, but when I tried both of them on my knee tonight Tiger, who was getting cuddled, seemed to go for jeremy whren OH went to pot him on my knee too ... maybe Tiger was being possesive? Will have to try them on the floor again tomrorow. naughty piggies!

There was a lot of rumbling and butt-wiggling during play time today! I think Tiger is trying to be the dominant one which is surprising as he is quite a bit younger than Jeremy... anyway they plonked down on a towel together later on when they got tired so its not going too badly.. still wouldn't leave them unsupervised though.

Hmm, its a couple of weeks on now and Tiger is still rumbling and waggling his butt at Jeremy, but Jeremy sometimes goes as if to nip Tiger, who just sticks his nose in the air - Jeremy edges closer and closer, and Tiger's nose gets higher and higher! Its all very strange! Tiger usually chases Jeremy round, but he also runs after the rabbit too, and I saw Jeremy pulling Tiger's fur with his teeth.
Jeremy seems more chilled out about Tiger... not sure now which one is trying to be the dominant one! Too early to put them in together I think..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back