Unsure if they’re drinking

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
My boys came inside last friday as it was -8 and have been inside since. They both have a water bottle stuck to the side of their cage, one a bit more accessible than the other.

Winston, the old guy on his own, has his water bottle hung from inside the cage and he reaches it perfectly and drinks often.
The two boars next door, Reggie and Remy, have a less convenient set up. The bottle is on the outside but held up by zip ties, so the spout is much less prominant. I made sure water was coming out and I have lured both pigs over the the area with nuggets, so I know they both know where it is, but I haven’t seen them use it once.

Bearing in mind I am not in my room often and they both run for their life everytime i move a tiny bit, but the water level hasn’t gone down at all and it’s a bit concerning.
If they weren’t drinking, would vegetable water bide them over until now? I know the amount of water they intake fluctuates massively but the bottle isn’t going down at all.

You could always add a bowl if you are concerned about them finding the water bottle. But quite possibly they are just getting enough from their veggies.
They have never had a bowl before but I have plenty of dishes from pets at home that I never use, so I will fill one up and see how we get on.

Thanks!

Our boys definitely drink less from the water bottles in the winter. We do feed wet vegetables though, which counts towards water intake. Perhaps your boys are getting enough water already.

Back