Unknown seed heads in hay- ok for piggies?

LucyP

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Hi all- just got a new massive batch of meadow hay from pillow wad and there are quite a lot of seed heads in there (possibly wild yam? Not sure?) picturesCF47147D-FA3C-45E0-AA7F-C6D7B4E20B93.webpF7770F3E-0483-4769-B830-FD4EFECF4B1E.webp below!

Does seem ok for piggies? Just wanted to check…

Thanks!

Thanks very much! I thought someone might!

I think they might be these? Not sure if they are ok to eat, more research required
[HEADING=2]wild Apiaceae[/HEADING]
1677617725748.jpeg

Thanks so much for the response! I’ll hold it back for now and have emailed the company with some photos to see what they say too. One of those plant ID apps matched it most with wild yam, but who knows, (not me, I’m rubbish with plants..)

…if it is something thats an issue I just hope it’s not present in all 5 bags!

Thanks again

Just in case anyone else has a similar query, this is what the company said. Common hogweed seems ok according to Google too (there is a giant version which is not good but that’s not this one!)
Thanks all.

View attachment 220428
Thats good of the company to get back with an identification so quickly. From time to time I find hogweed stalks in my hay (I buy it by the bale) and the piggies get very excited!

They’re quite a small outfit I think and they say they only have 6 fields and can ID where each batch comes from. I was impressed too!

Oh that’s nice that yours like it! Well hopefully the pigs will enjoy their extra hog weed treat!

Thanks all.

Back