• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Unknown Lumps, Excessive Water Consumption, And Extreme Weight Loss

SophiaC

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’ve had my guinea pig for 6 years, and he’s always been so happy and energetic when I gave him his veggies; but today he didn’t even flinch when I gave him his favorite...carrots. He bit it, but didn’t actually eat the carrot. He’s also lost a TON of weight. He’s very boney now. And he’s got a growth (inside) that seems to be a tumor of some sort on his bottom right nipple. I’m worried that he may die soon, and I know I should take him to the vet. But I wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue?

The lump could be a mammary tumour, which can be harmless. But, only a vet can determine that. I've had a pig with one and it didn't cause weight loss or eating issues.

Losing weight and not eating is a sign rhat something is wrong, possibly something serious.

Your pig will more likely die if you don't see a vet so I recommend you visit a vet asap.

You realy need to see a vet ASAP

6 years is a good age, but with a bit of help from your vet , he could well live another 2 or 3 years

I’ve had my guinea pig for 6 years, and he’s always been so happy and energetic when I gave him his veggies; but today he didn’t even flinch when I gave him his favorite...carrots. He bit it, but didn’t actually eat the carrot. He’s also lost a TON of weight. He’s very boney now. And he’s got a growth (inside) that seems to be a tumor of some sort on his bottom right nipple. I’m worried that he may die soon, and I know I should take him to the vet. But I wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue?

Please see a vet as soon as possible; the longer you wait and procrastinate, the less more likely your boy is going to die. Please do not allow your own fears to get in the way of saving your guinea pig's life!

The lump is likely a mammary tumour; they can be both harmless or not - but only a vet can determine that. He may need to operate, which is not uncommon and perfectly survivable if the tumour is still encapsulated.
Tips For Post-operative Care

Start syringe feeding asap as soon your guinea pig loses more than 50g in a short space of time. You can use mush up pellets in an emergency until you can get hold of recovery formula (either from your vet or online). If you feed pellets, you will need to prep the syringe tip as shown in the guide. Please take the time to read our illustrated step-by-step guide. It has been written specially for people with no experiences and shows exactly how to go about it.
Loss of appetite is often caused by pain. You need to see a vet to get painkillers for your guinea pig.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Back