UK can you recommend a cheaper alternative?

Charllou

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’m in the UK and been using this hay for months now but it’s becoming costly they would eat a whole bag in 3-4 days. Can anyone recommend something similar or any tips? The cheaper hay Iv gave them they never eat it all this one no matter how much I put in there won’t be a strand left I’m constantly topping up haha!

Attachments

• A74A0100-7412-406A-9649-7D6BF750AA5E.webp
    A74A0100-7412-406A-9649-7D6BF750AA5E.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 4
Oh gosh that is expensive hay - 1kg is a tiny amount no wonder they go through it so quickly!

Now, I have six animals so need a lot of hay but I buy meadow hay by the bale from a local farm. It’s around 25 kg and I pay £7.50 for it. I also buy a 15kg bale of orchard hay from happy hay co online and pay £31.49 for that. I have a subscription so get a bit of a discount. The orchard hay is the one they are given for eating. It works out to around £2 per kg. So it does mean your 1kg for £5.50 works out very expensive.

The 15kg orchard bale lasts my six animals around five weeks

I'd agree with Lorcan - buying in bulk online has saved us a lot of money (and hassle)!

We've recently had hay from Little Hay Co which was very well received (4kg meadow £8, 4kg silky soft hay £10.99). I'd expect this quantity to last us maybe 3-4 weeks; not sure yet, we always seem to use more when we're using hay from bags rather than boxes. Only downside was the postage at £4.75, but it was extremely quick.

We'll be trying Nature's Own next as I've heard it's cheaper and has free delivery if you spend £20 :)

Last edited:
I buy a bale of hay from a local equine supplier at £6.50 and supplement this with timothy hay (as a treat) from Haybox or Natures Own Sweet Green Hay. the Natures Own is great value for money and postage is free on orders over £19.95. I find the customer service at Haybox is awful but really good at Natures Own. I once received a batch of Sweet Green Hay from Natures Own that had a lot of thistles in it and i contacted them and it was replaced the next day. Sadly Haybox tend to just ignore complaints or try and blame any problems on their customers (Its not their hay that is the problem, it is always the way you must have stored it, etc.).

I buy a bale too from the local farm shop, I keep in the summerhouse. I also buy Pillow wad Meadow hay too

I’ve just bought the Timothy blend from the Little Hay Co, I have 10kg and it has the option of coming in plastic free packaging.
The hay is not as good as the meadow hay from haybox but they recently started using plastic.

Thank you so much everyone! I thought I was paying a lot for hay nearly spending more on hay than the kids snacks 😂 does a barrel of hay stay fresh? How do i keep bugs out of it? I’ll have a look into some of the subscriptions suggested Thankyou!

Thank you so much everyone! I thought I was paying a lot for hay nearly spending more on hay than the kids snacks 😂 does a barrel of hay stay fresh? How do i keep bugs out of it? I’ll have a look into some of the subscriptions suggested Thankyou!

Hay lasts for a year if it is kept in the right conditions (ie not getting damp or sweating in plastic bags or boxes), also bugs won’t get in if it is kept properly.

I have a 10kg box of timothy hay from Happy Hay, delivered once a month. My goblins are fussy beggers though and won't eat meadow hay because it's too soft for them 🤷‍♂️

They also love the orchard hay from Happy Hay that @Piggies&buns mentioned though. And Happy Hay's customer service - they sent me a box of oat hay instead of orchard once and sent me out a replacement box the same day, arrived the following morning.

Hay lasts for a year if it is kept in the right conditions (ie not getting damp or sweating in plastic bags or boxes), also bugs won’t get in if it is kept properly.
what is the best way to store hay

I use a garden storage box in the summerhouse, a bale fits really well inside it. As hay is the most important part of their diet you can cut right down on pellets to a desert spoon each a day to save a few pennies

Attachments

• IMG_2235.webp
    IMG_2235.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 4
Back