Uh Oh we have a problem!

• Thread starter Thread starter juniormylove
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

juniormylove

As you may know, my dad and I are in the middle of building the guinea pigs a new home. Up until now, things were going great. We had all of the sides put together, and we're almost done stapling the wire on. We've found a problem, though. The cage is made of wood, and wood will absorb the pee. I would rather my room didn't smell of piggie urine. Is there anyway around this? My dad is thinking of lining the wood bottom with some sort of plastic, but we're not sure at all. Any suggestions?

Also, what should we put on the ramp so the piggies can grip it? I don't want them sliding off it. I was thinking maybe carpet, but the only extra we have it very think with really long carpet hairs (hahah).

Thanks soo much!

-Melanie

you could get a piece of lino, or correx to line the bottom of the cage.. is it more like a hutch that would go outside, but your having it inside?

on the ramp you could put carpet, if you nip to a carpet shop and ask for a small off cut you should get some cheap.. or in the pound shops look out for small mats.. or fleece will do nicely too.

umm no it's a cage...i think...umm...I AM CONFUSED. hahah what exactly would you call a cage, and what would you call a hutch?

okay, thanks for the ideas!

On hutch ramps they have notches of wood on the plank to help the piggies grip. I would think fleece or carpet would slip and you would need to wash it so couldn't even be glued on. As for the base correx would be good or if you have any spare laminate flooring or lino. Make sure you post pic's of your progress x

okay, so notches are good?

that makes sense about the fleece and carpet, i guess.

i'll probably sound like a GENIUS asking this, but how would you make the notches? ^-^

lino will work a treat to line the cage. or you could go for corex. x

sophiew said:
You could try rubber matting on the ramp, like car mats? Or a rubber door mat cut into strips.

Good luck!

Sophie

I like that idea cause that would be more hygeinic as well. I'm gonna do that on my hutch ramp, thanks for the idea O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back