Twos Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbear01

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Will 2 baby boar piggies get along I have peanut already but want to find him a friend?

You are doing the right thing by looking for a companion for Peanut as guinea pigs are social animals and, ideally should not be kept on their own.

The down side is that boars can be difficult to pair and there have been many posts on this forum about boars fighting.

The best solution is to find a rescue centre that can help you find Peanut a compatible companion. I am not sure whereabouts in the UK you live but suggest you start by looking at the rescue locator link at the top of the page.

Rescue centres are invaluable . The service they offer to help pair 2 boars is often known as boar dating

Last edited:
If you can, please try to contact one or more of our recommended good standard rescues that you can travel to. Not all rescues list their single datable boars on their website, so it is advisable to ring or email; it may be a few days before a volunteer run rescue will come back. Not all, but many offer some kind of boar dating at the rescue under expert supervision where Peanut can meet likely single boars to find a friend of his own choice, which is th key to a successful boar bond. You may also find that an older boar will contribute towards stabilising the bond, as only one of the boys is going through the teenage hormones at any time rather than a second youngster. By using one of the recommended rescues you won't have to worry about quarantining (as that happens at the rescue) or mis-sexing or coming home with a boar that Peanut doesn't get on with, so it is well worth travelling that bit further. You will also always have the rescue to fall back on if you have problems at some stage.
These are the rescues that we can guarantee for: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

If you can, please try to contact one or more of our recommended good standard rescues that you can travel to. Not all, but many offer some kind of boar dating at the rescue under expert supervision where Peanut can meet likely single boars to find a friend of his own choice, which will make the bond a lot more stable. You may also find that an older boar will contribute towards stabilising the bond, as only one of the boys is going through the teenage hormones at any time rather than a second youngster. By using one of the recommended rescues you won't have to worry about quarantining (as that happens at the rescue) or mis-sexing or coming home with a boar that Peanut doesn't get on with, so it is well worth travelling that bit further. You will also always have the rescue to fall back on if you have problems at some stage.
These are the rescues that we can guarantee for: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/
I agree with WIEBKE

I've had peanut for a week yesterday so may go back to p@h and get a baby boar piggies from their as most he would of already been living with

Please be aware that character compatibility is key and that boars will develop their adult identity only during their teenage months, so by just sticking two baby boys together at random you will maximise your risk of a fall-out down the line!

I've decided I'm going to buy a double hutch then get another guinea pig so if they don't get on I have enough room they can play together during the day and sleep in their own beds at night but they will still be able to hear each other

I would not recommend that, the play date thing. You can't keep putting them together and then apart, they will likely fight. Please take note of the advice given. Remember, there are a lot of experienced piggy owners here whom have experienced a lot of what you are thinking of doing.

We will always recommend getting piggies from rescues because they need good homes, and they know what they are talking about whilst shops like pets at home are interested in selling making profit.
Thanks

if you get another baby there is a big likelyhood of them falling out when they get older.You would be better going to rescue to get a friend as you cant keep seperating them then putting them together.If they are one in the top of the hutch and one in the bottom they will both be lonely.

I honestly think you need to piggy date peanut Hun it will save you money in the long run because you won't need to be buying more cages etc, let him pick a friend from the newest rescue place from the link on here if you tag one of the monitors they can help you find the nearest to you this would be the best way to find a suitable piggy. If you buy a another guinea from the pet shop and try to pair them and they don't get on you will have two single piggies that will both need friends :(
If the nearest rescue centre is to far from you or if you can not get to it may be you can ask if you could sort out a piggy train :)
Hope this is of some help, keep us posted and were here if you need any more help :hug:

Not sure where you live but I would still go for it as it could save you a lot of misery in the future.
When I took my boar for dating, I travelled by train as the rescue was a short taxi ride from the station.

Good luck with finding peanut a friend. I would definitely go to a rescue and get them to help pair peanut with a suitable companion. ;) we would love to see pigtures when you find him a friend.

Good luck and I hope everything goes well! Keep us updated on his potential new pal :)

Best of luck! Wheek and Squeak are a highly respected rescue, so Peanut will be in very safe and experienced hands! Full (residential) boar dating is very time consuming so very few places can afford to offer it, but it is by far the safest way to bond boars and the resulting bond is stress tested before the boars come home to make sure that they are not falling out in new surroundings.
Here is a full boar dating blog from another rescue, so you can get an idea what residential boar dating implies and why dating is so important for the success of a stable boar bond: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/dominance-behaviours-in-guinea-pigs.28949/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back