Two New Guinea pigs, need advice

Gothicslugs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
My friend and I got two guinea pigs, both males. They’re currently in their pen, trying to adjust to everything. They’re showing common behaviors of dominance, at least what I’ve seen. But I’m afraid one of the piggy’s aren’t adjusting well because of the other one. He seems scared and will only sit in one corner of the cage— our other pig keeps mounting the other one every few minutes. Some advice would be great! Thanks so much!

:wel: to the forum! It's perfectly normal for them to still be scared. It's best to leave them be for a week other than giving veg and topping up hay to give them time to adjust to their new home. Covering their cage with a towel will make them feel more secure as they settle :)

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have two boars too. They are wonderful. I hope your two settle in soon.

Welcome to the forum.
I also have a boar pair

Did you just get them today?
Were they already together at the time you got them?

It’s entirely normal for them to be nervous to begin with. Cover their cage and leave them to settle in for a week, only feeding them and spot cleaning their cage during this time. It can take weeks to months for them to fully settle in.

It’s also normal for them to be mounting and showing dominance behaviours. Even if they were bonded before you got them, moving to a new environment will cause them to reestablish their relationship.

I know there is a lot, but do take the time to read our care guides. They are so useful and give a lot of valuable information.

Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Hello and welcome
I had two fabulous well bonded boars, they were wonderful, funny and goofy boys, hope yours settle soon x

Hello!
My friend and I got two guinea pigs, both males. They’re currently in their pen, trying to adjust to everything. They’re showing common behaviors of dominance, at least what I’ve seen. But I’m afraid one of the piggy’s aren’t adjusting well because of the other one. He seems scared and will only sit in one corner of the cage— our other pig keeps mounting the other one every few minutes. Some advice would be great! Thanks so much!

Hi!

Please place a sheet over the pen to give the timid boy an extra feeling of protection. Guinea pigs don't like open spaces in new territory - they are most exposed to predators there - and those prey animal instincts run deep.

Please take the time to read the information in these links here.
You will find it very helpful as they explain how things look from the guinea pig perspective, how prey instincts function and what you can do to work around them and remove yourself our of the predator category. Please be aware that most shop or breeder piggies have had very little human contact and have been ripped from their piggy group.
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Back