Tunnel to and from hutch.

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
My 5 year old boar now lives alone in the bottom half of a bluebell hutch and my 5 month old boar and baby friend now live a couple ft across from the bluebell together.

I was going to do timeshare in a run but it felt a bit impractical and I was really full of anxiety that my old boar was feeling lonely, so I can up with an idea.
I have split the run into two, with the pair getting the bigger half. So Winston (5 years old) now gets his hutch and a run extension daily of about 2x1 or 3x1 in c&c length, which I understand doesn’t seem much but it’s alright from his old leggies. The pairing get about 3x3 in run size, but I don’t feel that’s big enough for them to be in for 12 hours a day, so what I would like to do is attach them to their hutch and the run via a tunnel set up.

I have no idea what it’s called, I was hoping to get some help with that bit, but I think it’s a great idea. So both sets of pigs have a chance to interact through bars and my pair get enough room.

IMG_4456.webp IMG_4455.webp

I have inserted a picture of the tunnel set up I am looking to get, taken from someone’s post in the members shed section.
I am hoping someone else has a similar set up (tunnel wise) or could point me in the direction of where to get the equipment and get it all sorted.
I am also wondering if i’m able to detach and reattach it easily on atleast one side, as I understand some of them have ways to shut off access to the tunnel, overnight per say, but the run needs to be able to be moved back and forth overnight aswell. It’s infront of the bluebell hutch and I would have no way of accessing it (the bluebell) without moving the run.

I am also going to attach the pictures of my boys run as i’m very pleased with myself and I am also very happy that they managed to interact nicely through the bars. I even saw baby pig popcorn for the first time!
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4437.webp
    IMG_4437.webp
    87.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4438.webp
    IMG_4438.webp
    100.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4440.webp
    IMG_4440.webp
    83.1 KB · Views: 16
There are tunnels by Runaround. Have a look on their website.

Yes they can be closed off to block access.

Since they sell the doors separately, does that mean that the tunnels are easy to attach/unattach from the door, or are they glued or screwed in?

Since they sell the doors separately, does that mean that the tunnels are easy to attach/unattach from the door, or are they glued or screwed in?

The tunnel itself is bolted to a panel which goes through the hutch itself.
The little door which opens/closes the tunnel is a slip in panel.
So you don’t attach/reattach the tunnel each time. You just close what is effectively a trap door to stop access.
There are some videos on their website which shows how it works

The issue is I would have to fully remove the tunnel from the run, in order to move the run out of the way. So the tunnel would still be attached to the hutch, with a door on it, but the one attached to the run would have to be able to get the tunnel fully removed.

Also the space between the hutch and the run is 4’3, what do I do in this case?

The issue is I would have to fully remove the tunnel from the run, in order to move the run out of the way. So the tunnel would still be attached to the hutch, with a door on it, but the one attached to the run would have to be able to get the tunnel fully removed.

Also the space between the hutch and the run is 4’3, what do I do in this case?

You can remove the tunnel via the clips and slip the door panel in to block the hole in the run this securing the run.

You would have to find the smallest length tunnel they do and then have to cut it to fit the right length.

It says their tunnels are 4ft, which is too small, so I would have to buy two 4ft ones just to use 3in of it, lol.

I’ve sent them a message to see if there’s anything they can do

It says their tunnels are 4ft, which is too small, so I would have to buy two 4ft ones just to use 3in of it, lol.

I’ve sent them a message to see if there’s anything they can do

Oh I see, sorry, I don’t remember the tunnel lengths.

I looked into it quite extensively but I decided in the end it was too much money for something I’d not use year round for the piggies.

Oh I see, sorry, I don’t remember the tunnel lengths.

I looked into it quite extensively but I decided in the end it was too much money for something I’d not use year round for the piggies.
It is quite pricy. I just feel a bit torn because the run really isn’t big enough for them to be in all day. My next step would be expanding the run then, which would be easier to do in all honesty, but then cancels out the use of their brand new hutch during the majority of their day.

I’ll wait till they get back and then make my decision. Thanks for your help :)

I wonder if there’s any good in trying to make my own. Frankly I don’t know if i’ll be allowed to spend another £100 on something like this, considering i’ve gone way over budget already for the new set up.

I have always always loved the idea of having a tunnel and run network for guinea pigs, allowing them to get some space away from each other!

Before I had the thoughts (or access to the internet) to read about how to correctly keep pets, my parents bought myself and a sibling a pair of rabbits. They had a setup (horrifically small to think about it now) that involved a pipe going from the bottom of their hutch (:() to the end of a run. It had a flat piece of wood attached to either end of the pipe that allowed it to slot securely into the hutch door at one end and slide downwards into a pop-hatch groove on the run at the other end. At night it was fairly easy to disconnect from the hutch and it prevented them from using the tunnel as a toilet while they couldn’t access the run.

I recommend looking online as you will certainly be able to get the right diameter of pipe in a significantly longer length (or even cut to length depending on where you buy from) for the same price or less. I believe it can be cut with a hand saw (may take quite a bit of effort!), if you have to buy the rigid stuff rather than flexible you can get connectors and corners if you need the pipe to turn.

Does that run take up all the floor space between the two hutches?

Could you -
have the run in front of the hutch with the door left open as it is in your pictures (just without the pen inside which Winston is in) so whichever piggy lives in the bluebell can come and go

And then

Set up c&c grids in front of the other hutch as a run in the gap between the run and the other hutch. Leave the door to that hutch open so they can come and go into the grid area and still be side my side with whichever piggy is in the wooden run during the day.

I’m not sure if that makes sense?

Yes there is quite a bit of room but there is a couple issues.

1 - I worry it may take up way too much room, it would be hard to get across.
2 - The concrete is really cold and I don’t have another mat. Though it would be easy to find one.
3 - Reggie is a jumper, which is why the separation bars look a bit crazy.

Would it be better to have a setup like that rather than a tunnel going past. I also have another run outside which is bigger but i’m not sure if it would fit.

Attachments

• IMG_4441.webp
    IMG_4441.webp
    85.5 KB · Views: 10
I have always always loved the idea of having a tunnel and run network for guinea pigs, allowing them to get some space away from each other!

Before I had the thoughts (or access to the internet) to read about how to correctly keep pets, my parents bought myself and a sibling a pair of rabbits. They had a setup (horrifically small to think about it now) that involved a pipe going from the bottom of their hutch (:() to the end of a run. It had a flat piece of wood attached to either end of the pipe that allowed it to slot securely into the hutch door at one end and slide downwards into a pop-hatch groove on the run at the other end. At night it was fairly easy to disconnect from the hutch and it prevented them from using the tunnel as a toilet while they couldn’t access the run.

I recommend looking online as you will certainly be able to get the right diameter of pipe in a significantly longer length (or even cut to length depending on where you buy from) for the same price or less. I believe it can be cut with a hand saw (may take quite a bit of effort!), if you have to buy the rigid stuff rather than flexible you can get connectors and corners if you need the pipe to turn.
That’s interesting, I’ll have to have a look into it.

Thanks for sharing!

Yes there is quite a bit of room but there is a couple issues.

1 - I worry it may take up way too much room, it would be hard to get across.
2 - The concrete is really cold and I don’t have another mat. Though it would be easy to find one.
3 - Reggie is a jumper, which is why the separation bars look a bit crazy.

Would it be better to have a setup like that rather than a tunnel going past. I also have another run outside which is bigger but i’m not sure if it would fit.

It was just a thought - you’ve got to be the one to manage with it!
Reggie and remy are in the new hutch, is they right?

It would possibly be cheaper and much easier to set it up than do the tunnel idea though. A few c&c grids cable tied together pops up and down within a few moments so it’s not hard to set up.

If Reggie is the jumper then perhaps you use the wooden run for him and remy, and use c&c grids grids for Winston outside his hutch.
You

It was just a thought - you’ve got to be the one to manage with it!
Reggie and remy are in the new hutch, is they right?

It would possibly be cheaper and much easier to set it up than do the tunnel idea though. A few c&c grids cable tied together pops up and down within a few moments so it’s not hard to set up.

If Reggie is the jumper then perhaps you use the wooden run for him and remy, and use c&c grids grids for Winston outside his hutch.
You
That is a good idea about moving the run to the new hutch (where Reggie and Remy are). It would be quite a lot of room for such an old boy, but he certainly wouldn’t be jumping it.

That is a good idea about moving the run to the new hutch (where Reggie and Remy are). It would be quite a lot of room for such an old boy, but he certainly wouldn’t be jumping it.

Winston may not need a lot of space if he had the grid version.
If you open the door of the bluebell, it takes almost two grids out, so he could have a 2x2 or 2x3 in front of one door and that would still be a lovely space for him to stretch his legs and have a bit of side by side time with the youngsters.

My Hugo has his permanent set up as the bottom half of a bluebell with a 2x2 area at the front. (although have completely removed the hutch door from the bluebell as is never shut in the hutch anyway)

Just thoughts anyway!

Winston may not need a lot of space if he had the grid version.
If you open the door of the bluebell, it takes almost two grids out, so he could have a 2x2 or 2x3 in front of one door and that would still be a lovely space for him to stretch his legs and have a bit of side by side time with the youngsters.

My Hugo has his permanent set up as the bottom half of a bluebell with a 2x2 area at the front. (although have completely removed the hutch door from the bluebell as is never shut in the hutch anyway)

Just thoughts anyway!
I get that, the issue is the run and a C&C area of that size wouldn't come up against each other.

What about something like this?
Amazon Basics Foldable Octagonal Metal Dog and Pet Exercise Playpen, With door, 24 inch (61 cm), Black https://amzn.eu/d/gpnOxrP

Yes something like that would be ok - bar spacing dependent.

I get that, the issue is the run and a C&C area of that size wouldn't come up against each other.

Yes, you’d need to figure out the logistics. Overlapping (and cable tying) grids to make it come side by side.

Yes something like that would be ok - bar spacing dependent.

Yes, you’d need to figure out the logistics. Overlapping (and cable tying) grids to make it come side by side.
What is bar spacing dependant sorry?

What do you think about the second one I linked, I edited it mid way. Are those bars safe?

What do you think about the second one I linked, I edited it mid way. Are those bars safe?

Yes the second one is fine.
Its a normal c&c cage just with the rectangles bars rather than squares (bit more like a kavee cage)

Yes the second one is fine.
Its a normal c&c cage just with the rectangles bars rather than squares (bit more like a kavee cage)
Just wanted to let you know we are going with the c&c idea and I want to thank you for your advice/help.

Truly I don’t know what my set up would look like right now without your input and I can’t thank you enough for that, you’ve helped me give my boys the best life I can.

Thanks for everything you do for the forum, it’s greatly appreciated x

Just wanted to let you know we are going with the c&c idea and I want to thank you for your advice/help.

Truly I don’t know what my set up would look like right now without your input and I can’t thank you enough for that, you’ve helped me give my boys the best life I can.

Thanks for everything you do for the forum, it’s greatly appreciated x

You are more than welcome. I’m glad to help.
Your boys will have a fantastic life with you!

Back