• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tulip leaves poisonous

Bonnie320121

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My Guinea pig Bea has just eaten a some of a tulip leaf, it had fallen to the floor and before I'd realised she eaten some of it. I've just read that they can be poisonous but I can't find any info on whether it's worse depending on how much they've eaten. I was in such a panic when I saw what she'd done that I've given her loads of lettuce and cucumber drowned in water, which she has eaten and is now in her cage munching on hay. I'm so frightened I don't know what to do now. Can anyone help please?
This is the amount she has eaten, I have drawn around the outline and have put a 5p coin next to it so you can see the size properly.

Attachments

• 16558038688058931050186657264415.webp
    16558038688058931050186657264415.webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 10
Guinea pigs are well known for munching on this that they shouldn't ,so please try not to panic.
You have handled it well, and the only thing you can do now is keep an eye on her for the next 24-48 hours.
I am sure she will be fine.

My Guinea pig Bea has just eaten a some of a tulip leaf, it had fallen to the floor and before I'd realised she eaten some of it. I've just read that they can be poisonous but I can't find any info on whether it's worse depending on how much they've eaten. I was in such a panic when I saw what she'd done that I've given her loads of lettuce and cucumber drowned in water, which she has eaten and is now in her cage munching on hay. I'm so frightened I don't know what to do now. Can anyone help please?
This is the amount she has eaten, I have drawn around the outline and have put a 5p coin next to it so you can see the size properly.

Hi

Any bulb plant is not good for guinea pigs but it is unlikely to cause major problems in that quantity.
Keep an eye on your piggy for the next day or so and see a vet promptly if she suddenly looks very off and is off her food, just in case but please do not worry yourself into small shreds.

Just get used to automatically doing a quick floor check before any free roaming and removing anything that could cause problems. Piggies are nosy creatures and will find everything you especially do not want them to before you from threads, ribbons, little bits of plastic/packaging etc.
Rather provide some 'safe' enrichment for them to hunt out since it is an instinct that should be generally encouraged: Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Thank you so much for replying so quickly. I have been keeping a very close eye on her and everything seems OK but I will be watching her like a hawk from now on. I am constantly doing risk assessments when wandering around the house as she's free roaming and quite mischievous, she once stole a whole cracker off my plate and tried to run away, fortunately on that one occasion I was quicker than she was!
Thank you for sending the information on enrichment, I'm always looking for new ways to make things a bit more interesting and stimulating for them.
Thank you again for all your help 😊

Back