Trying to get two males to bond

• Thread starter Thread starter baby piggie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baby piggie

I used to have two piggies until smudge died a few months ago :'(. I just had truffle left and felt guilty about him being on his own so, the other day i got him a friend, another male piggie. I have put the new piggie (treacle) in his own cage next to truffles so that they could see each other. I have also let them both out at playtime and slowly introduced them. How do i go about putting them into the same cage together? how long should i leave it before i try them together? they get on okay outside the cage but I'm worried about just putting them together and one of them getting hurt. Truffles is about 7 months and treacle is only a baby. Here is a couple of picture of them having fun at playtime. (truffle is the long haired one)

treacleandtruffles009.jpg

treacleandtruffles010.jpg

treacleandtrufflesbonding004.jpg

treacleandtruffles014.jpg

treacleandtruffles005.jpg

When I introduced my two boars, I had Jasper in quarantine for about 2 weeks, they knew there was another piggy in the house but they didn't meet him. The first meeting was through cage bars, the second meeting was a brief cuddle on my lap for the pair of them, after that they went on the bathroom floor with towels down for a few nights. They were getting on really well during play times so after about 4 nights I completely scrubbed out the cage they were both going into, I put the bedding that was going into their cage into their play area with them for a few hours (I use vet bed) so that the bedding would smell of the two of them. Then I put the bedding in the cage, rearranged all the food bowls, water bottles and hideys etc so that it looked like a brand new cage that neither of them had been in before. I got my housemate to hold one pig and we released them into the cage at the same time. There have been a few minor spats but nothing even remotely concerning, this is basically what it says on the barmy for boars website and it worked really well for me.

Thanks for the link to the barmy boars! its a great website! I still dont have the piggies in the same cage as I'm worried the younger one will get hurt, I'm still taking them out together on the couch and there is a lot of chasing each other around with some wheeking with the occasional rumble, then they will both go nuts pop corning around each other. Can anyone tell me if this seems to be going okay? :)

Sounds good to me so far. You have done exactly as we did when bonding Sam and Roo.
What we did next was try them together in a clean cage, but only when we were around to keep an eye on them. After a few days, we could see they were OK, so we started leaving them in together overnight, and then full-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back