Trying to care for a pet shop, different piggy

Lhasa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all! I am very much new to the forum, yet I've had my guinea for three months now. I am a brand new owner that would like some advice. Never done this before!

A bit of backstory (skip to the other paragraph if you want), my friend pawned this piggy off on me. He bought this little girl for his kids, as a pet. He meant well. But it was from some Petco down the street and who knows how the unsupervised kids treated her. About three months ago is when my friend said that no one in the house was showing her any attention. They had her at least a year. Maybe a year and a half. In that time, I'm sure she she was being fed and watered, cared for, but he felt bad that the kids had lost interest and thought she needed more. I love animals; I work with dogs. But I knew nothing about guineas. I quickly realized how insanely personable and characteristic they are! =D

Okay, skip ahead to now. Three months of ownership. I have a few specific questions, but really I welcome all instruction. I have done much research on how to properly care for her, so I know about a lot of her problems. In fact, let's address them.

1. She's alone. She was bought solo and being a petshop casualty, I expect she was raised that way. I know guineas need to be the social creatures they are, but even if I can get her a companion, that is an idea down the road. For these last three months I have been trying to fill the social role for her. I take her out of her cage daily. We'll get into the size of said cage, but I bring her out usually twice a day, sometimes three, in a little... I dunno, 8ft square area. 4x4. It's my bed =P Well half of my bed. I have her own blankets that I lay down. She has her chew toys (which she never touches) and lots of paper towels and towel rolls, which she wants to completely next it. And I sit there with her the entire time, usually with my tablet so I can continue my day, but she is out like this for at least 4 hours every day. I've been taking some of the paper towels away because if I give her enough, she will get underneath and just sleep. I thought it would be better for her to get interaction and exercise during that time.
2. I'm really, really concerned about cage size. I measured it a while back and it's like 3 feet and a few inches by 2 feet and a few inches. I have read the recommended sizes and clearly this is not it. I was ready to tackle a project to build her something better on the cheap, because money is an issue, but life took over. In lieu of that, I bought a collapsible playpen for her to exercise and play in. I was doing this for her a few times a week at first, but that dwindled to once a week, and now I just don't know. She cries when I walk away from the pen (it's fully loaded with hidey holes and toys and treats). I'm not even sure she likes being in there now.
3. Her diet. I'm so at a loss! As far as her timothy hay goes, she seems to prefer it in a bowl, but will also just waste half of that scattering it around. I've seen her forage around the pen in what she messes up but the loss rate is just crazy. It's basically a second layer of bedding. And I know she needs so much of it so it's a multiple times a day thing to make sure she has more in her bowl. I bought her a hay rack and she likes it pretty well. She'll always prefer the bowl though. Again though, it's multiple times I day I will refill the hay rack, making sure I physically stick large tufts of hay through the gaps because that's the only way she seems to be satisfied! But I'm basing this on her whininess. And she will stop crying if I do this with her food.
4. Second part of her diet. She won't eat veggies. Won't. Best results I've had are a tip to rub fruit juice over them (natural, like smearing a grape over it) and she will express interest. Mostly licking the vegetables and maaaaaybe sooooometimes eating a few bits of veggie. I had tried... so many different veggies. Carrots, lettuces, spinaches some cabbages, broccolli, cauliflower... so much more. It's not a question of variety. She does have a daily feed of pellets for her vitamin C (which she goes bonkers for. loves it), but I thought it would be way better for her to have the real thing. Again, she is a pet shop born girl and I am sure my friend who owned her prior did not feed her veggies. Probably too many fruits to boot.

I would love to ask more but it is late here. Maybe this could be the start to better understand my Ginny. That's actually her name, by the way. Embarrassing how unoriginal it is, but I can't change it now! She's been Ginny her whole life before me =)

Thanks for any and all help! I will check back and respond to any questions or whatever may be needed to further this.

Hello and welcome

I'm not sure about all your questions but I'll try my best.

1. Unfortunately, you can never replace the companionship of another piggy. Some piggies will never bond, but that is very rare. The best way to find her a friend would be to take her to a rescue to "date", which is when they can choose their own companion.
2. The recommended cage size for two (as well as a single) is 150 x 60cm (I believe) which is about a 2x4 C&C cage. C&C cages are great inexpensive dit options for cages made from grids and corrugated plastic. You can buy kits online, or you can buy them separately. There are usually many options for grids on Amazon and such. You just need to make sure that they have 9x9 grid holes, rather than 8.
3. It sounds it me like she would much prefer a large pile of hay on the ground, which can be very enriching.
4. As for veggies, you may need to keep persisting. Daily staples include lettuce (not iceberg), capsicum, cucumber, coriander, green beans and celery. I would definitely cut down on the fruit (and stop putting fruit juice on the veggies as it is very high in sugar). Fruit should be limited to once a week at most. As for pellets, they should be limited to one tablespoon per day.

More experienced members will be along shortly.

Hope this helps, all the best 😊

Welcome to the Forum.
It's lovely to have you and Ginny here.

A good place to start is here:
New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information

As for your specific questions @My Piggies is right.
1. Human companionship can not replace her need for a friend.
It isn't a matter of how much time you spend with her (clearly a lot) you don't speak the same language and she really needs to have a companion 24/7 so she can interact on her terms. Rescue dating is a great way to achieve a good match if at all possible. A companion may also help her learn to eat veggies too as guinea pigs tend to learn behaviours from oterh piggies.

2. A proper size cage is very important. Hopefully that is something ou can sorry out soon. Maybe try free adds or a buy and sell group in your area. Zooplus often have good deals on larger guinea pig cages too.

3. The hay thing is totally normal. Get a large plastic try with a small lip and line it with newspaper and stuff it with hay and let her burrow and forage and play to her hearts content. I would say in out home at least 50-60% of the hay I put into the cage gets thrown away. Guinea pigs need a huge amount of hay, there is a lot of waste, and it's pretty messy. That's just how it is.

4. Veggies aren't absolutely critical as long as she has unlimited hay and a small amount of pellets. Put the veggies in, leave them for an hour or two and if she doesn't eat them take them out. It can take a while to learn about veggies and as I said earlier a friend would probably help with this.

Aw, it sounds like she landed well with someone that wanted to do the best for her 😍 I think there might be a two birds with one stone here. She needs a companion. Obviously living with your own species is beneficial but for a pig this is how you learn what is safe. If she was brought up alone she hasn't learned from anyone else that eating veggies is safe! A friend may well encourage her in this.

If money is tight you might want to reconsider your hay. Timothy hay isn't the only type, I buy meadow hay. It's much cheaper and gets eaten just the same. I put it in a large tray and it gets slept in, peed on, eaten, buried in. It serves much more purpose than just food. Even if it is thrown around then it was entertainment and so had value.

I hope you solve the cage problem. The bigger the better, especially if you get a second then future proof by going big now. I was lucky enough to get second hand grids.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum.
Ginny is a lucky piggy to have landed with you.
The advice you’ve been given can’t be bettered.
Looking forward to getting to know you and Ginny

Wow, thank you all for your advice and support! I am a little crestfallen though, as I know I have to do what is best for her, and that may not be possible for me right now.

This rescue-dating is something I've never even heard of. I expect I can find something in my area. I know people at my local shelter and humane society, I could ask Ginny's new vet if she knows anything, and I met a person at the nearby pet shop who owns multiple piggies. I struck up a conversation when I was buying bedding there (before I realized that seems to be severely overpriced).

This was pretty uplifting to think about, until I considered I could be the one going home alone after Ginny met a friend on a rescue-date. Off to a home someone else could better provide =(

But I guess she needs another of her kind to be with after all. If that's essential, she needs a bigger cage. Much bigger. I have looked at those C&C cage frames before. They're not crazy expensive for me but they cost a whole lot more than I would expect from simple metal frames that aren't even built to fit together outside of twist ties. Still, seems the simplest option for something very necessary.

I'm still concerned about the whole bedding and hay pricing. Because if I'm investing in a much bigger cage, with a whole second piggy.... well that's a lot more than I'm already handling. I was told about using fabric linings for their cage. A washable kind to reuse. If anyone has experience with those I'd be curious. But even if t saves money on bedding, they need SOMETHING to rummage around in =P Like I said, she loves to make a mess of her food (hay), and it seems she'd be happier that way.

I guess I just have to recognize that I'm either adopting TWO piggies or none =P And all the goes into that. I love her to death by now though. I've gotten so used to her sounds and what they mean, how she expresses herself. She will coo when she is out with me on the bed and relaxed, petting her. She'll even yawn and have her eyes half closed. Or other times it's all about exploring the folds and tunnels around the blanket and climbing on my legs! She seems really happy when she is out and about. But for all the time I can spend with her, she's still alone most of the time. That can't be, and certainly not in that small cage.

Thank you again, all, for your insight. I hope I can stick around on these forums. I'll just need some time to either make her a proper home, or find her one.

Wow, thank you all for your advice and support! I am a little crestfallen though, as I know I have to do what is best for her, and that may not be possible for me right now.

This rescue-dating is something I've never even heard of. I expect I can find something in my area. I know people at my local shelter and humane society, I could ask Ginny's new vet if she knows anything, and I met a person at the nearby pet shop who owns multiple piggies. I struck up a conversation when I was buying bedding there (before I realized that seems to be severely overpriced).

This was pretty uplifting to think about, until I considered I could be the one going home alone after Ginny met a friend on a rescue-date. Off to a home someone else could better provide =(

But I guess she needs another of her kind to be with after all. If that's essential, she needs a bigger cage. Much bigger. I have looked at those C&C cage frames before. They're not crazy expensive for me but they cost a whole lot more than I would expect from simple metal frames that aren't even built to fit together outside of twist ties. Still, seems the simplest option for something very necessary.

I'm still concerned about the whole bedding and hay pricing. Because if I'm investing in a much bigger cage, with a whole second piggy.... well that's a lot more than I'm already handling. I was told about using fabric linings for their cage. A washable kind to reuse. If anyone has experience with those I'd be curious. But even if t saves money on bedding, they need SOMETHING to rummage around in =P Like I said, she loves to make a mess of her food (hay), and it seems she'd be happier that way.

I guess I just have to recognize that I'm either adopting TWO piggies or none =P And all the goes into that. I love her to death by now though. I've gotten so used to her sounds and what they mean, how she expresses herself. She will coo when she is out with me on the bed and relaxed, petting her. She'll even yawn and have her eyes half closed. Or other times it's all about exploring the folds and tunnels around the blanket and climbing on my legs! She seems really happy when she is out and about. But for all the time I can spend with her, she's still alone most of the time. That can't be, and certainly not in that small cage.

Thank you again, all, for your insight. I hope I can stick around on these forums. I'll just need some time to either make her a proper home, or find her one.

You can use fleece bedding. Either putting puppy pads down as an absorbent layer and then a single layer of polar fleece on top or investing in proper cage liners which have the absorbent layer already stitched in the middle. You can buy washable puppy pads which obviously saves on the constant need to buy disposable ones This guide details more about fleece bedding.

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

I don’t use fleece bedding for mine and instead the whole cage has a base layer of a disposable bedding and then hay over all of it. My two love being able to get in amongst large piles of hay and forage through it.

Hay wastage is part and parcel of piggy keeping. They will never eat all of it - they will pick through it, find the bits they like, leave the rest and wait for them arrival of a fresh batch to be delivered to them!

I use fleece bedding. I have a couple of sets that I rotate, one on and one in the wash. I made it myself although very little making required! I bought a cotton mattress protector and cut that to size. I bought a couple of fleece blankets and cut them to size. I pin the fleece to the cage because mine burrowed under the sewn pads I made 🤦‍♀️ Very little effort, minimal outlay and have lasted me 6 years. I probably need to replace the pad as it isn’t quite working any more. But has cost me pennies in terms of spend over the years. You are in America, I believe uhaul pads are a great option for you but they don’t exist in the uk.

The grids you can get from Amazon as grid storage. You just need to be careful that you get 9 hole grids so they aren’t too big.

You won’t lose your pig dating. You date them with a pig awaiting rehoming, not a pig already owned by someone, that would be heartbreaking!

Whatever you decide is best for Ginny, I hope you will stay on the forum.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for looking into getting Ginny a little friend. Don’t worry she will still love you just the same even if she has a companion. In fact you will be amazed as her personality comes out even more once she has company of her own kind 😁

Bless you. You sound like a wonderful loving owner for her. i can only echo what everyone else has said. However on the dating side these are piggies looking for a loving home. They won’t take your piggie from you but let your little lady choose a lovely male or female she likes and bring home :)

also the price of a second piggie is Surprisingly the same as owning just the one :) it’s when you get the larger groups that I find it’s a lot more pricy. When I had 2 it was nothing but at 5 is when I’ve noticed the price is a bit harder as I use a lot more veg. At two I found my veg rotting before I could use it all.

It sounds like she has ended up with someone who does want the best for her and that's wonderful!
As far as number 1 goes, pigs really are better with other pigs. This might actually also help with restricted food interests, as pigs are more likely to try new things if they see another pig trying it first. Many pigs without much exposure to vegetables are reluctant to try them until another pig shows them it's okay. One of the best things of having multiple pigs is watching them learn from each other and interact... it really is amazing how much they are social learners in that way.

You've gotten good advice with regard to the C & C cages... I can't really add much there!

As for hay, a lot of pigs will end up with it scattered all over and end up with it as a bedding layer (my own pigs included.) I've never really found a way around that. I did try a hay rack for awhile, but they seemed to prefer being able to climb right into a pile on the ground instead... plus one of my pigs found out it was fun and easy to empty the hay rack without eating everything, meaning it ended up all over the ground anyhow! As others have suggested, you can try mixing more costly timothy hay with another kind of hay, like meadow hay, to cut down on costs, knowing that a portion is always going to end up on the floor.

Hope this helps a bit!

Hello and welcome!

I did not see this mentioned but are you certain you have a female? I would sex the piggy to confirm before you start to date ‘her’ and then end up with babies because your ‘her’ is actually a ‘he’.

I rescued my boys from a New Jersey rescue after someone abandoned them on the side of the road early this year. My rescue mainly handled cats and dogs so they were very clueless with guinea pigs. They had sows and boars in the same room….albeit separate cages thankfully.

I use fleece with old towels as a liner. I do a full clean and wash every 3 days maximum. The boys get floor time for 3 hours during this time.

My boys hated veggies upon getting them. They left everything in the cage. I kept persisting and now the guys eat everything and complain when I don’t give them more!

Also, my vet, told me to syringe feed my guys vitamin C. I am starting to wonder if this is a mistake as I get worried about scurvy from too much vitamin C. So I have slowly weening the amount down for my guys. Point is you might want to get your Ginny used to syringe in case you have to critical care down the road.

I built my own c&c cage which took about a day and I piece-mealed everything over two-three paychecks to reduce cost. I am now in the process of enlarging the cage slightly with more grids to give my guys more space!

Good luck and we hope you stay !

Back