• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Truffles eye is bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerpig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
well actually not her eye, but her eyelid, on close examination it looks like a scratch on the top eyelid and when she has shut her eye it has probably transferred to the bottom eyelid. Her actual eye is fine. I noticed it this afternoon. It has not been dripping blood or anything, and is drying out now.

I wouldn't have thought they have been fighting, in all their time together our 5 sows have never had any fights, ever. Is it possible she has scratched herself with her back feet or something?

Do you think it needs a visit to the vet or shall I just keep an eye on it? Is there anything I should be doing to it?

Molly is going to the vet tomorrow, if you think Truffle needs to go to the vet would it be OK to just pop her in the box along with Molly and get the vet to have a look at her as well or should I phone the vet and ask for a double appointment?

normally i just put another pig in the box with the one thats going should the need occur, and my vets dont bother its more money for them lol

personally i'd just keep an eye on it, if you feel its bad take her to the vets but if its a small scratch id just leave it personally :)

just watch for any infection starting and keep the area clean :)

spudnik said:
normally i just put another pig in the box with the one thats going should the need occur, and my vets dont bother its more money for them lol

personally i'd just keep an eye on it, if you feel its bad take her to the vets but if its a small scratch id just leave it personally :)

just watch for any infection starting and keep the area clean :)
Yup exactly what i'd do any worries speak to vet!

i would perhaps take truffles with molly to be on the safe side. you could always gently bathe the eye with warm salty water. keep a close eye on your girls incase there are any spits and spats. girls and their hormones. like some one said it could just have been straw or hay they poked her. hugs and cuddles to you and truffles and good luck molly at the vet. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Just to update . . . . .

Truffle's eye is just fine today, you really wouldn't know there had ever been anything wrong, so I didn't take her to the vet with Molly. I guess even with a small scratch, a little bit of blood can look like quite a lot. They all seem very happy together still, anyways, nice to be able to get them out in the run today in the sunshine :smitten:

Thank you all for your kind replies, I will still be keeping an eye on Truffle :)

Black Jack said:
How did Molly get on at Vets? You didn't say what's wrong with her.

Thanks Black Jack, there's another topic on her, Molly's been losing weight. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back