• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Trouble eating

Lucettacole

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I noticed today that one of my guinea pigs is having a little trouble eating. He recently suffered a trauma when one of my other boars managed to escape his own cage and into the neighboring one. He was injured with a very large bite wound to his lower back. It was over the weekend and we couldn't get him to the vet until very late, and a slight infection had already begun to set in. The vet prescribed antibiotics and cream and now the wound is very nearly healed. Except now he seemed to be having trouble eating, as though he can't quite swallow easily. He doesn't seem hesitant to eat but he has lost weight. This little guy has been through a lot and he's much smaller than my other piggies. Any advice you can offer please.

@Lucettacole You'll need to start weighing him regularly so you can monitor for weight loss.

You'll also have to start syringe feeding him if he can't eat for himself.

And you'll need to take him to the vet to find out what is causing it.

Good luck!

Back