• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Trimming fur round cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, I noticed today Arhcie has some rather large cuts on his back and neck, he lives by himself so I'm not sure how it has happened, I am checking his hutch over in a minute to make sure there is nothing sharp on it.
I am getting some soothing stuff from Gorgeous Guineas to put on them but as he has long shelti fur will I need to trim around the area so it doesn't infect the cuts or something? (the cuts are closed up)

I wouldnt risk it tbh just incase you open up the wound again let them heal and the scabs will fall off by themselves just make sure the area stays clean etc. Are you sure he doesnt have mites or a allergy to something that has made him itch? I hope the gg cream works! O0

Thanks, it doesn't look like a scratch it's looks like it has been burnt by a cigarette (i know he ahsn't lol iw as justd escribing what it looked like) i'll order that gg cream tonight :) shame it;s gonna cost £4 postage for one thing though ;D

Maybe an allergic reaction?

Have you changed brands of shavings or hay recently?

no they have had the same bedding and hay. they look like cuts in the shape of cigarette burns

i'll take soem tomorrow, but it might be abit hard as he has really long fur.

awwwww poor Archie :'(
Sending you some healing wheeks from us both :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks
This is a really abd picture of one, theya re alot bigger
MAINLYCHANCEANDBEN036.jpg

Dave had wounds that looked like that, but they were from fighting with Alex. If Archie lives by himself, they can't be from that. I would guess he's made them himself by scratching, but, like you say, you haven't seen him scrathing or changed his bedding.

I know he could scratch whilst I haven't been around but I would of thought he couldn't reach there?
should I use some flea, tick and lice treatment for guinea pigs on him? and would I be okay using the gg cream on them?

I'd take him to the vets, but thats just me. They'll be better at telling you what it is than us, and then you know you are getting the right treatment. I think mite treatments from the vets are usually better. I've only ever used GG shampoo, not any of the treatment, so I don't know much about them.

i will if her gets any more or if they look infected, i just thought some GG sote gel would be good incase they are sore. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back