Tried Simulating Being In Carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyS

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have had my guinea pigs for about a month and a half and I was planning on taking them out to get their nails done. Before I do that I wanted to simulate them being in a small condensed area (like a carrier). My cage has a divider so I purposely divided one part of the cage to be a lot smaller. For about 10-15 minutes they just walked around and chewed on the bars. After that, they stood frozen and all of a sudden seemed scared of every slight movement and sound. One of my boys is usually a no touch but he got scared to the point where I can touch him anywhere and he stays completely still. I then decided to put everything back to normal but their behavior still showed they were very scared. (E.g. they don't get excited about the sound of bags when they normally do)

When I do put them in the carrier and bring them to wherever else outside the house, is this going to happen every time? At some point they have to be in the carrier whether they want to or not. So what can I do so that they won't be petrified every time.

I leave my carriers open in the floor at all times (no doors in or doors left open). I stuff one with hay and the others just have newspaper and fleece liners. When the pigs come out for floor time they use one as a hay box and pop into the others for a snooze, a wee or just to play. Piggies like to investigate. That way there is nothing scary about the carriers. They smell of them and hold no fear. If I ever need them to go into a carrier I just pop it in their run with a treat at the back and they will usually jump in. Or at least if they won't voluntarily go in and I pop them in, they know there is nothing to be scared of.
In summer, mine know the routine. When I pop the carrier into their c and c they know they are going out for grass time. When I pop the carrier into their run on the grass they know it's time to come inside.
Make your carrier cosy, attractive and interesting to the piggies. They will soon learn to enjoy it.

Feed the piggies veggies whilst they are in the carrier, it will help distract them

I could give them veggies to distract them. What happens when they eat it all but there is still a ways to go before I reach home? Should I just give them things to chew on and hope they get distracted from it?

I always put a soft fleece liner in with a puppy pad or newspaper underneath then put a load of hay on for them to hide in and munch on. Then give them some treats while they are in there (some herbs or veg). They will be fine I'm sure. How long do you think they'll be in there?

Not very long. I don't plan on taking them very far or many places. Mainly just the vet and maybe other nearby places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back