Treats

Jenni85

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
What, if any treats would you recommend?

My son wants to give them a treat before bed time each night so I've bought some Burgess Herby Hearts and Fruity Hearts and also some Beaphar Munching Sticks but I'm not to sure about giving them to them.

Most of those type of commercial treats that you mention are best avoided - too sugary and usually with inappropriate ingredients.

When it comes to the ones you’ve mentioned, the burgess ones seem to have the best ingredients but I would not give them daily.
The beaphar just says its ingredients are cereals. Cereals are best avoided so I would not give them at all.

If treats are going to be daily then you would be better off for a treat to be something like a sprig of a fresh herb - something that doesn’t form their normal diet - a piece of basil or mint for example.

Most of those type of commercial treats that you mention are best avoided - too sugary and usually with inappropriate ingredients.

When it comes to the ones you’ve mentioned, the burgess ones seem to have the best ingredients but I would not give them daily.
The beaphar just says its ingredients are cereals. Cereals are best avoided so I would not give them at all.

If treats are going to be daily then you would be better off for a treat to be something like a sprig of a fresh herb - something that doesn’t form their normal diet - a piece of basil or mint for example.
Great advice, as usual. In the bin with the beaphar sticks.

Thank You.

Great advice, as usual. In the bin with the beaphar sticks.

Thank You.

I don’t give mine treats routinely.
They one small piece of fruit in the summer, and they get some pea flakes but they say I’m far too stingey with them - apparently once every two weeks to a month (or when I remember) is unfair on them!

What I do give almost daily is dried forage. I don’t give pellets every day though.
So i guess for mine, pellets are pretty much their treat actually.
I get my dried forage from Piggie Parcels. I have also recently switched to feeding Piggie Parcels pellets.
Piggie Parcels is a company run by a member of this forum - fantastic products and always a huge hit with all six of my animals!

I don’t give mine treats routinely.
They one small piece of fruit in the summer, and they get some pea flakes but they say I’m far too stingey with them - apparently once every two weeks to a month (or when I remember) is unfair on them!

What I do give almost daily is dried forage. I don’t give pellets every day though.
So i guess for mine, pellets are pretty much their treat actually.
I get my dried forage from Piggie Parcels. I have also recently switched to feeding Piggie Parcels pellets.
Piggie Parcels is a company run by a member of this forum - fantastic products and always a huge hit with all six of my animals!
Oooh thank you, I'll have a look at Piggie Parcels.

I was really struggling to get them to eat their veg, I was serving it on a little tray. I just placed it in their hay and hey Presto it was all gone haha.

Back