Jade Smith

New Born Pup
Reaction score
IMG_1742.webp I brought these today thinking they were specifically for guinea pigs, do you think they would still be ok? Could I also have some recommendations on treats and fruit/veg do them! X

Mine like

Broccoli stalk
Lettuce
Celery
Carrot
Kale
Spinach
Kiwi
Tomato
Apple
Blueberries
Pepper (red, yellow green)

I give them a mixture of the above and not everything just what I happen to have in the fridge.

Mine like

Broccoli stalk
Lettuce
Celery
Carrot
Kale
Spinach
Kiwi
Tomato
Apple
Blueberries
Pepper (red, yellow green)

I give them a mixture of the above and not everything just what I happen to have in the fridge.
Thank you! You don't happen to know if the gnaw treats I got are safe do you? X

Hello! Welcome to the forum :) Fab to have you here.

Don't feed those to your piggy as they have completely different dietary requirements to hams and gerbils

Tend to advise to avoid these kind of treats. Some different veg and also specialty hays such as Orchard Grass or Timothy make lovely treats for piggies

Be lovely to see some photos of your piggies! Could you add your location to your profile as it helps us tailor any advice if ever needed to your geographical location, thanks

Welcome again
Lee

I don't give my piggies treats from a pet shop you don't know how much sugar is in them. At lap time there treat is fresh parsley, corrinder or pepper. If you want a treat for in the cage get a reed or wooden ball take some of it out & stuff it will hay.

I only give my girls a treat twice a week and it's usually apple or some other fruit they love and a handful of either orchard grass or botanical hay on rotation. I have some peppermint oxbow simple rewards treats that they get once a week after cage clean and weighing just to make it a more positive experience for them as they hate the weigh for some reason. Strangely they love their peppermint oxbow treat but turn their nose up at their burgess excel with mint pellets but that's piggies for you lol.

Hi there, perhaps take them back and get somthing sutebal for guinea pigs, though personaly l wouldn't feed any factory made treats,
Maybe exchange for bag of readygrass

There's two things to bear in mind with commercial treats sold for mice, hamsters, gerbils, rats etc., and usually only the first is realised:
1) the above species eat a grain-based diet, while piggies should be mostly eating the rest of plants
2) crucially, the above species are all omnivores. This means it is a-okay for the oh so very common binder of egg to be in the recipe. And when egg isn't used, honey often is instead. These are used

Personally my piggies really like some of the herbivorous Rosewood treats (I got a bunch earlier in the year of heavily reduced Christmas stock). But the main treats I give them are herby horse treats - cheaper £/Kg cost, and since horses are also grazers there's also more hay and herbs in them compared to wheat and other grains found in the more mass marketed stuff. I buy these from farm/ equine supply type shops, rather than petshops.

Back