• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Treating Mites: Ivermectin Dosage Question

• Thread starter Thread starter Ginger
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ginger

My guinea pig (Ginger) has had very dry skin for some time now. Recently I have noticed that she has been scratching herself causing scabs. She doesn't like to have her fur scratched (she used to purr when I scratched her back gently). I have also seen her go into spasms (I would describe them as seizures).

So, of course, I went online to do research. I think she has mange mites (trixacarus caviae).

I read that the best way to cure guinea pigs with mange mites is by using ivermectin, but the dosage instructions are complicated and hard to understand.

Can anyone shed some light on this complicated situation?

Thanks so much!

Guinea may have afungal problem too. I would contact Chrissie at Gorgeous Guineas and ask for a shampoo to treat fungal and parasitic problems. The Melts are also very good for fungal problems and clear the condition quicker than oils did.

A vet can give you Ivermectin.

Agree with Karent to get in touch with Chrissie :)

Uncle Ton sometimes has dry skin, has had dermatitis for years, and Manuuka and Neem shampoo from GG really helps!

Welcome to the forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back