• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Treated For Mange Yesterday Now Not Eating

Janie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new to the site. I have two Guineas, Reggie an abyssinian who I found in the middle of nowhere while walking my dogs, and Flash, his 'roommate'.
To cut a long story short, Reggie has quite bad mange, so I took them both to the vets yesterday for treatment. They vet gave them selamectin (revolution), about 0.2mls each (they weigh about 900g) and also started Reggie on Baytril 0.2mls twice a day as he had scratched himself and had an open wound over his shoulder. So he's had three doses of Baytril so far.
This morning when I went out to dose him and feed him, he is looking very unwell. he's hunched up and is hardly eating.
I've given him some Parsley and he's had a nibble on that, and I'd like to take him back to the vets but I think the stress might finish him off looking at how he is today. I'm not sure whether to risk taking him back today or see if he perks up a bit first (I've stopped his Baytril and didnt give it this morning).

Hi and welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place for help just bear in mind we're not vets.

Can you add your location as it does help when giving advice as there are people from all over the world here.

Firstly, you need to start syringe feeding Reggie straight away so he keeps his weight up, you will find a guide to syringe feeding, or I'll post it in this thread. If you don't have any recovery care, you can use mushed up nuggets to feed him. don't forget you also need to syringe him water as well.

It's likely the Baytril has upset his stomach and ideally you should use a probiotic to keep his stomach settled. I use Avipro when a piggy is on medicine.

With Reggie being hunched up is a clear sign he isn't coping very well, you may have to take him back to the vets if you can't get him to eat to get his gut going with a stimulant depending on when he last ate.

You can fit a mange coat to stop them scratching but it is possible to get over mange. I'll find the threads and post them.
Additionally, I'll tag in a few other members whose area this would be.
@helen105281 @Wiebke

Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites
found what I was looking for here.
Really important that you get syringe feeding straight away using the guide given above, it's going to be tiring, but it's important Reggie eats and is not dehydrated.
the link I've given above is useful as it shows a coat on a guinea pig to stop it scratching.
@Janie

Hi Mother Hubbard, I'm in New Zealand. (originally from the UK). I can definitely syringe feed Reggie. I suppose I should check with the vet about stopping the Baytril, but his wound looks OK and I'd rather just keep it clean to heal on its own if the Baytril is going to upset his guts.
Thanks for the info on syringe feeding :)

The Baytril whilst hard on stomachs will be to ward any infection for sure, if the vet says absolutely for the baytril then I would definitely get some avi-pro or similar which you mix with water. Just be warned that with the syringe feeding is going to take quite a bit of time and eat into your night and sleep, we've all been there, it's like having a new born baby in the house. Also keeping your piggies warm and comfortable too, I suspect it's warm in New Zealand but anything to keep the little ones cozy.

Hi!

@Mother Hubbard has given you some very good advice. Always step in with syringe feeding asap if your piggy is losing weight or stops eating completely. Our illustrated step-by-step guide tells you exactly how.
Baytril can cause an adverse reaction. There is one ivermectin product that is very bad for guinea pigs, which is unfortunately still occasionally used by general vets here in the UK from time to time. Not sure whether that has happened with selamectin as it is non commonly used on guinea pigs in the UK.

You may want to discuss with your vet whether you'd rather apply a mildly disinfectant solution like very diluted F10 (which is antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial) to the sore skin instead of the baytril. You have to be extremely careful with your very gentle dabbing, as in advanced cases the skin is so painful and inflamed that it can cause fitting, which needs to be avoided if at all possible as it strains the heart.
Please also ask your vet for a painkiller to help ease the discomfort and some gut stimulant to get that going again. You may also be able to get hold of some probiotics and vitamin C to help support the digestive system and boost the immune system for the next 2-3 weeks.

The best way of preventing a piggy from biting healing sores open is by covering them up. Rescues often use a coat, but you could try to create a pyjama with four leg holes to prevent your piggy from self-harming. Be aware that piggies are masters of slipping out of things, though!

Could you please add your country to your details, so we can take it into account and tailor any advice accordingly straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. This makes it appear with every post you make.

If you want to speak with somebody who has experience with caring for guinea pigs that have severe mange mites in your country, you may want to contact Auckland Cavy Care. They are the best (and to my knowledge only proper) guinea pig rescue in your country and have certainly got experience in that respect! They may be able to advise you on suitable products and care products available. I am sure that they will help with their experience, especially against a small donation to the rescue.
Auckland Cavy Care

Excellent advice - thanks so much. I have syringe fed him every few hours today. I rang the vet and she said they sometimes react like that due to the selamectin, and it can last 24 hours. He's stil very subdued but has nibbled on some greens I put in earlier. Fingers crossed he rallies. I've bathed the area of damaged skin with some warm saline, but it does look much better than it did yesterday. Thanks for the link to the Auckland group - will keep their details handy.

Excellent advice - thanks so much. I have syringe fed him every few hours today. I rang the vet and she said they sometimes react like that due to the selamectin, and it can last 24 hours. He's stil very subdued but has nibbled on some greens I put in earlier. Fingers crossed he rallies. I've bathed the area of damaged skin with some warm saline, but it does look much better than it did yesterday. Thanks for the link to the Auckland group - will keep their details handy.

Fingers firmly crossed! Your good care at home is going to make all the difference!

Back