Treat brands

The healthiest treat you can give a piggy is a huge pile of hay. They like nothing more than running through it, creating hay tunnels in it, making hay nests, hiding in it and eating their way out, sleeping in it/on it, eating it, pooping and weeing on it. If you scatter their food (pellets and veg) in it they love rootling around in it trying to find it. Hay gives piggies so much stimulation. Don't worry if they eat hay that they have pooped/weed on as it happens and clearly tastes better with a bit of "seasoning".

My piggies also have the occasional Carrot Cottage or Hay Cube but I'm not sure whether you can get them in The States. You may be able to get them from Amazon.

The only commercial item I buy for mine is the odd carrot cottage or hay cube also - a few times a year.
Otherwise a treat is a different type of fresh herb or their pellets when its a pellet day (I don’t routinely feed pellets daily)

I buy dried forrage for my boys they particularly like dried dandelion leaves or oat grass. Dried forage is quite healthy as its not overly processed and encourages natural foraging behaviour when mixed into their hay.

If you want treats you can hand feed them I just use their pellets. I give them 1tbsp scattered around the cage in the morning then use the rest as treats throughout the day (the recommended amount is 1tbsp per pig per day so I try not to go over this).

I've heard good things about pea Flakes as an occasional treat but when I tried them with my fussy lot they just spat them back out and demanded something different.

We use strawberry bites from pets at home. They are perfect for little piggies and ours love them.

I buy dried forrage for my boys they particularly like dried dandelion leaves or oat grass. Dried forage is quite healthy as its not overly processed and encourages natural foraging behaviour when mixed into their hay.

If you want treats you can hand feed them I just use their pellets. I give them 1tbsp scattered around the cage in the morning then use the rest as treats throughout the day (the recommended amount is 1tbsp per pig per day so I try not to go over this).

I've heard good things about pea Flakes as an occasional treat but when I tried them with my fussy lot they just spat
What are some good healthy guniea pig treat brands?
We use pets at home strawberry bites and they are a big hit for our guinea pigs.

We use strawberry bites from pets at home. They are perfect for little piggies and ours love them.

I would advise that you avoid these kinds of commercial treats.
The ingredients in this are not things you would want your piggies eating - it contains wheat and sugar which piggies should not have.

Too much sugar can cause digestive problems (overgrowth of the wrong kind of gut bacteria which can lead to digestive upsets and diarrhoea) , and grains should not be in their diet either.

Don’t be fooled into thinking these commercial treats are suitable or safe just because they are sold as suitable - most contain ingredients which piggies should not have (sugars, grains, seeds - all of which can cause health issues or are generally unsafe in the case of seeds which can break piggy teeth and cause a choking hazard)

Safe treats are things like fresh herbs or safe dried forage (made purely from dried safe leaves or flowers)

Back