Travelling with piggies

Fluffy17

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi guys!
I wanted to ask you for some advice for car trips with pigs.

Unfortunately in the summer I’ll have to bring one of my piggy on a 3 hour trip.

but I have never understood how to make the trip pleasant or at least less stressful for her.

Unfortunately she usually hides terrified under the absorbent mats I put on her carrier and I'm afraid she'll suffocate, especially in the summer with the heat!

Any Advise? What carrier or methods do you use?

( I apologize in advance for my english)

Our boys travel well. Hector and Hamish always travelled in a big cat carrier together. My main advice would be to cover the outside of the carrier too.

Our new boy Billy lives as a neighbour to Hamish(since Hector passed away). Billy has his own carrier & likes to travel under his fleece pad like your piggie. I always put newspaper under the fleece pad & hay on top of the fleece pad. Billy is usually found sat on the newspaper & ends up with the fleece on top of himself! I even tried giving Billy his fleece bed once- he still burrowed under everything .
Hamish now travels happily by himself in his own carrier. When we stop for a break the boys get a piece of cucumber each to help them stay hydrated.
We don’t take our piggies on holiday when the weather is very hot- they go to the boarders.

Your English is good- no need to apologise.

Our boys travel well. Hector and Hamish always travelled in a big cat carrier together. My main advice would be to cover the outside of the carrier too.

Our new boy Billy lives as a neighbour to Hamish(since Hector passed away). Billy has his own carrier & likes to travel under his fleece pad like your piggie. I always put newspaper under the fleece pad & hay on top of the fleece pad. Billy is usually found sat on the newspaper & ends up with the fleece on top of himself! I even tried giving Billy his fleece bed once- he still burrowed under everything .
Hamish now travels happily by himself in his own carrier. When we stop for a break the boys get a piece of cucumber each to help them stay hydrated.
We don’t take our piggies on holiday when the weather is very hot- they go to the boarders.

Your English is good- no need to apologise
My luna is the same 😂 may i ask how big is the cat carrier and what type? I wanted to buy a new one maybe she’ll be a bit more comfortable

My luna is the same 😂 may i ask how big is the cat carrier and what type? I wanted to buy a new one maybe she’ll be a bit more comfortable
We had the large version of this for when we had 2 boars living togther, Amazon basics pet carrier. We now have the smaller one too, as our boys live as neighbours they can no longer travel together. It costs a bit more now than when we brought it. We like it as you can open the top and front, its also easy to clean.

I have taken mine on longish road trips.
We moved house with 4, a 5 + hour trip and they came to Yorkshire with us which is a 2.5 hour trip.
I put them in a carrier, or 2 carriers. One would be in the front passenger footwell, and if needed a second carrier was strapped on the front seat.
The carrier was filled with hay, covered with a towel and in the summer I carried some cucumber chunks in water in case of delays..
They were always fine

Back