Travelling 7 hours

Leb66

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi we are moving 7 hours away from when we are now, but i am worried about how my guinea pigs will travel, longest journey they have done is about 1.5 hours…
Since we dont have much stuff as the moving company is taking most of it, my plan was just to try set up a ferplast 120 cage (an old cage i used for a sick guinea pig) in the back of my car with the back seats down, then put fleece down for them, will this work?

Most guinea pigs travel well enough, and 7 hours isn't unheard of on here. However for safety reasons I think they would be better in a proper carry case with a fleece liner and hay to hide in and eat. If you used an open cage, the least bump, sharp turn or jerky stop could throw a guinea pig off its feet, and anything close to an emergency stop would be even worse.

If you have space for a carry case and the ferplast, you could have them in the case in the rear footwell or strapped to the seat while driving, and stop every 2 hours or so (a good practice for drivers too), and let them stretch their legs, have a drink and snack in the ferplast.

I’ve done long moves with guinea pigs.
They were in their carriers - one strapped onto the front passenger seat and covered with a towel, the other carrier in the passenger footwell.
I had a supply of cucumber chunks in a tub with a little water.
We stopped every couple of hours to open the carriers, check the piggies and give them a piece of cucumber.
They were fine.

On an unexpected long journey with delays caused by roadworks and accidents I did need a toilet break for me so as I only had 1 carrier by then they came too.
I had a very interesting conversation with an RSPB man at his stall outside the services.
He was fascinated by the piggies.

They were fine on this trip too.

Hope the move goes well. It can be stressful for humans too. We moved last month.

I do agree - the ferplast cage is not a suitable and safe way to travel. Much safer to use a cat carrier.

My boys Bill and Ted regularly travelled from Cornwall to Northampton 300 miles and back for dental treatment with no ill effects. they always slept most of the way in between eating and were very chilled. Plenty of hay, an absorbent fleece and a puppy pad underneath or newspaper in a cat carrier is fine. Cucumber to keep hydrated and veggies. Check them when you stop for a break. Cover carrier with a towel or cloth to help them feel secure

Hi we are moving 7 hours away from when we are now, but i am worried about how my guinea pigs will travel, longest journey they have done is about 1.5 hours…
Since we dont have much stuff as the moving company is taking most of it, my plan was just to try set up a ferplast 120 cage (an old cage i used for a sick guinea pig) in the back of my car with the back seats down, then put fleece down for them, will this work?

Hi

Here are our travelling tips:

They have worked for me on a 6 1/2 hours car journey each way with two sows on antibiotics that we couldn't leave because the person feeding my other piggies would not medicate. Both sows made a full recovery, by the way.

Bonded piggies can spend over a day in a cat carrier if needed, as long as they have soft hay and water or access to edible fluid, like a large chunk of cucumber which is exchanged and refreshed twice daily. They will spend most of the trip sleeping and dozing anyway.

I would not recommend a cage they can move around or where the hut/tunnel they are piling up in together can be thrown around or that comes easily apart if you suddenly need to break very hard or have an accident.

Back