Traveling Overseas With 2 Guinea Pigs!

CarlyCoolBeans

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey there everyone!
I need your help

Currently I live in Japan. I have lived here for 3 + years and so i really don't know what the future holds for me here in terms of whether I'm staying or not.

For me there my be a possibility that I would be returning to the US next year( again not sure, ha-ha:)
It crossed my mind that I would either have to give my guineas up for adoption( If i don't find a flight that would allow them in cabin with me) Or find a flight that would allow them in the cabin with me the whole trip.

I've been really worried about this and I'm researching my options. If anyone knows a flights from Japan to the USA that would accept 2 guinea pigs in cabin( preferably in the same carrying case). Please let me know. Thank you so much :)

You would need to check on the government website you are moving too to see if you can enter the country with Guinea Pigs and any quarantine laws. That would be your first port of call so to speak. Once you have answers on that then it would be looking into the individual conditions of airline or ship you would be using as transport

@sport_billy is right.
The first step is to go to the government veterinary website of the country you are thinking of moving to.
Whilst guinea pigs are not usually considered a 'high risk' animal (unlike cats and dogs) you need to check that they are going to be able to enter the country you are going to.
Finding a flight will not be a problem.
Most airlines will fly animals, and as long as the carrier you choose will fit under the seat in front of you, you can take them in the cabin as 'hand luggage'. Once you have chosen an airline, they will provide you with the exact dimensions of the maximum sized carrier you can bring.
Then you need to make sure you have all of the required paperwork to enter the country you are going to.
Check, check, and check this again, and make copies of everything.
In the case of guinea pigs this would usually just be a letter from a vet issued in the past 7 days stating that he has examined the animals and they are healthy and have no commercial value.

Back