Traveling Internationally From The US With Pigs

kate4001

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I will be flying from the US to Australia as soon as the COVID restriction is over, I’m assuming in about a year. I have two guinea pigs and would maybe be adopting more soon. I have never flown internationally and do not even have a passport-yet. I am wondering if anyone on here has any suggestions for me. I just read the post by @HappyCavies and thought it was super informative. Now I’m questioning my plan a lot, I think HappyCavies would agree that the process is extensive and has the potential to go horribly if there is a delay. I live in Massachusetts in New England, on the east coast a little down from Canada (for anyone that isn’t familiar with US states). I am literally across the country from the west coast, which is closer to Australia. I would be saving about 15 hours from my flight if I drive to California and take a plane from there. Driving across country like that would take at least 2 days of straight driving/ubering and a few different hotel locations for the piggies, I know it deeply upsets them to have their home environment change too much... Would it be better for me to drive the two days verses flying with possible stops? Now for how I would fly: The only American flightier that will allow 2 guinea pigs in the cabin is Frontier Airlines. Going through security with guinea pigs seems like hell, especially seeing as I would be going alone on this trip with nobody to help me. I have heard that you have to check in in person and possibly take the piggies out so the carrier can be checked going through security. I will be barely 18 by the time I can fly, I feel like I would have enough to worry about just getting my passport together and myself through security for the first time. I also have a little fear of flying that I can focus on and tame while I don’t have to focus on the whole process of getting through the airport. Having two guinea pigs as well seems like a recipe for disaster and stress. Never mind if there is a delay or some stops along the way... I have thought about renting a private jet, which seems crazy to do just to get yourself and 2 guinea pigs to a different country. Plus a private jet scares me a little with regard to height, I have heard they fly higher than normal-would that be okay for the guineas regarding pressure/altitude? With a private jet, you would not have to go through security or make any stops on a long flight. I could have all the space I need for them, I could probably even take them out of their carrier if I needed. I have seen some pretty cheap rates for renting a few seats in a private jet, I would hope to god that if I went with this I wouldn’t have to rent the whole jet for just me and my piggies... I would need to save up for awhile to have this option, but it seems worth it compared to my other alternative... I also saw on HappyCavies post that their guinea pig had a passport?! Do I need to get these for my pigs?! I also read that flying internationally requires a health certificate for your piggies, they don’t get vaccinations right?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is currently not possible to take guinea pigs to Australia.
I would focus on enjoying your guinea pigs for now and also start considering how you will rehome them when you move to Australia.

As @Swissgreys Says Australia allow NO animals or even Fruit anything that be eaten
I've read that a football team had their football boots taken as they were muddy.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is currently not possible to take guinea pigs to Australia.
I would focus on enjoying your guinea pigs for now and also start considering how you will rehome them when you move to Australia.
Holy crap, I had no clue! Thanks for telling me this! This is huge news for me and will probably affect my decision to move there! I had never considered that they wouldn’t allows them at all!

Holy crap, I had no clue! Thanks for telling me this! This is huge news for me and will probably affect my decision to move there! I had never considered that they wouldn’t allows them at all!
They are very very strict . Being a island course a big one they are very protective.

Hi everyone. I will be flying from the US to Australia as soon as the COVID restriction is over, I’m assuming in about a year. I have two guinea pigs and would maybe be adopting more soon. I have never flown internationally and do not even have a passport-yet. I am wondering if anyone on here has any suggestions for me. I just read the post by @HappyCavies and thought it was super informative. Now I’m questioning my plan a lot, I think HappyCavies would agree that the process is extensive and has the potential to go horribly if there is a delay. I live in Massachusetts in New England, on the east coast a little down from Canada (for anyone that isn’t familiar with US states). I am literally across the country from the west coast, which is closer to Australia. I would be saving about 15 hours from my flight if I drive to California and take a plane from there. Driving across country like that would take at least 2 days of straight driving/ubering and a few different hotel locations for the piggies, I know it deeply upsets them to have their home environment change too much... Would it be better for me to drive the two days verses flying with possible stops? Now for how I would fly: The only American flightier that will allow 2 guinea pigs in the cabin is Frontier Airlines. Going through security with guinea pigs seems like hell, especially seeing as I would be going alone on this trip with nobody to help me. I have heard that you have to check in in person and possibly take the piggies out so the carrier can be checked going through security. I will be barely 18 by the time I can fly, I feel like I would have enough to worry about just getting my passport together and myself through security for the first time. I also have a little fear of flying that I can focus on and tame while I don’t have to focus on the whole process of getting through the airport. Having two guinea pigs as well seems like a recipe for disaster and stress. Never mind if there is a delay or some stops along the way... I have thought about renting a private jet, which seems crazy to do just to get yourself and 2 guinea pigs to a different country. Plus a private jet scares me a little with regard to height, I have heard they fly higher than normal-would that be okay for the guineas regarding pressure/altitude? With a private jet, you would not have to go through security or make any stops on a long flight. I could have all the space I need for them, I could probably even take them out of their carrier if I needed. I have seen some pretty cheap rates for renting a few seats in a private jet, I would hope to god that if I went with this I wouldn’t have to rent the whole jet for just me and my piggies... I would need to save up for awhile to have this option, but it seems worth it compared to my other alternative... I also saw on HappyCavies post that their guinea pig had a passport?! Do I need to get these for my pigs?! I also read that flying internationally requires a health certificate for your piggies, they don’t get vaccinations right?
So it appears that Australia does not allow animals into the country at all, I had no idea and will have to start reconsidering my move, but in general my questions would still stand about flying commercial vs. private, minus the drive across the country, if anyone could answer assuming I would move to a country that did allow my animals?

This is my revised question: Now for how I would fly: The only American flightier that will allow 2 guinea pigs in the cabin is Frontier Airlines. Going through security with guinea pigs seems like hell, especially seeing as I would be going alone on this trip with nobody to help me. I have heard that you have to check in in person and possibly take the piggies out so the carrier can be checked going through security. I will be barely 18 by the time I can fly, I feel like I would have enough to worry about just getting my passport together and myself through security for the first time. I also have a little fear of flying that I can focus on and tame while I don’t have to focus on the whole process of getting through the airport. Having two guinea pigs as well seems like a recipe for disaster and stress. Never mind if there is a delay or some stops along the way... I have thought about renting a private jet, which seems crazy to do just to get yourself and 2 guinea pigs to a different country. Plus a private jet scares me a little with regard to height, I have heard they fly higher than normal-would that be okay for the guineas regarding pressure/altitude? With a private jet, you would not have to go through security or make any stops on a long flight. I could have all the space I need for them, I could probably even take them out of their carrier if I needed. I have seen some pretty cheap rates for renting a few seats in a private jet, I would hope to god that if I went with this I wouldn’t have to rent the whole jet for just me and my piggies... I would need to save up for awhile to have this option, but it seems worth it compared to my other alternative... I also saw on HappyCavies post that their guinea pig had a passport?! Do I need to get these for my pigs?! I also read that flying internationally requires a health certificate for your piggies, they don’t get vaccinations right?
This is my revised question: Now for how I would fly: The only American flightier that will allow 2 guinea pigs in the cabin is Frontier Airlines. Going through security with guinea pigs seems like hell, especially seeing as I would be going alone on this trip with nobody to help me. I have heard that you have to check in in person and possibly take the piggies out so the carrier can be checked going through security. I will be barely 18 by the time I can fly, I feel like I would have enough to worry about just getting my passport together and myself through security for the first time. I also have a little fear of flying that I can focus on and tame while I don’t have to focus on the whole process of getting through the airport. Having two guinea pigs as well seems like a recipe for disaster and stress. Never mind if there is a delay or some stops along the way... I have thought about renting a private jet, which seems crazy to do just to get yourself and 2 guinea pigs to a different country. Plus a private jet scares me a little with regard to height, I have heard they fly higher than normal-would that be okay for the guineas regarding pressure/altitude? With a private jet, you would not have to go through security or make any stops on a long flight. I could have all the space I need for them, I could probably even take them out of their carrier if I needed. I have seen some pretty cheap rates for renting a few seats in a private jet, I would hope to god that if I went with this I wouldn’t have to rent the whole jet for just me and my piggies... I would need to save up for awhile to have this option, but it seems worth it compared to my other alternative... I also saw on HappyCavies post that their guinea pig had a passport?! Do I need to get these for my pigs?! I also read that flying internationally requires a health certificate for your piggies, they don’t get vaccinations right?

Are there any specific places that anyone knows of that would also have a no tolerance policy for my piggies? I will do my own research but just wondering if anyone has general knowledge about this?

The problem you will face is that the USA is considered to be a positve location for rabies.
This will severely limit the countries you can take your guinea pigs to.

But can I be totally honest with you.
If you have never flown or really traveled before please reconsider looking into places you can take your guinea pigs.
International travel is grueling, time consuming, expensive, disorientating and not something you should drag your pets along on, until you ate 110% sure is the right choice fro you.
If you want to move to or visit another country, start by going for a 3 - 6 month working holiday and leave your pets behind with a trusted person.
Once you are sure you can settle in a new country then it is time to think about bringing your pets along for the ride.
The harsh reality is that chances are high you wouldn't be eligible to stay in many foreign countries with a US passport, so please don't think about how you would take your pets, until you are certain it is soemthing you could even do.

The problem you will face is that the USA is considered to be a positve location for rabies.

If you have never flown or really traveled before please reconsider looking into places you can take your guinea pigs.
International travel is grueling, time consuming, expensive, disorientating and not something you should drag your pets along on, until you ate 110% sure is the right choice fro you.
If you want to move to or visit another country, start by going for a 3 - 6 month working holiday and leave your pets behind with a trusted person.
Once you are sure you can settle in a new country then it is time to think about bringing your pets along for the ride.
The harsh reality is that chances are high you wouldn't be eligible to stay in many foreign countries with a US passport, so please don't think about how you would take your pets, until you are certain it is soemthing you could even do.
Okay thank you for this advice, I will certainly do my extensive research before I bring my pets anywhere with me, I was honestly just in the very beginning stages of thinking of moving internationally. Hoping to get a change of scenery and go somewhere new and fun. I was planning on obtaining both a working and a living visa before moving anywhere. I had read that you could rent and work in australia without either of these, so I thought I could get there with less hassle to begin with, and later ground myself with citizenship. I honestly don’t really have a great idea of how anything regarding traveling works either, I am still a minor and just bouncing around ideas for my future. I am really happy I posted today and got this info, it has made me rethink things a lot... I had also been thinking of staying domestically for awhile before making any big plans... About the rabies thing, I am realizing a lot hearing about the US from the outside instead of the inside. My understanding was that I could travel anywhere wherever and most countries had specific policies but none were too hard to follow and I could go. I realize now that this might be a little immature and each country may be a little unique. I really love my piggies and I don’t think that I could part with them even to go on vacation for a few months, but now I understand that it is not so easy to take them with me... Even if that means staying close by for a little bit.

I think wherever you go you will have to think carefully about what you will do when you get there in terms of living, working etc. Once you know you’re set then perhaps think about your piggies. But know that it won’t be easy. What are your plans for your future? What do you want to do, do you want to study further? Also look at why you feel you have to go abroad to get what you want.

As you’ve said, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to stay within the US first to see what it’s like. You don’t want to be moving only to struggle and regret your decision. Remember it would be a long way from home and you wouldn’t necessarily be able to fly back at the drop of a hat.

PS I think a private plane would be more expensive than a commercial. I’m not entirely sure but that’s my thought.

I think wherever you go you will have to think carefully about what you will do when you get there in terms of living, working etc. Once you know you’re set then perhaps think about your piggies. But know that it won’t be easy. What are your plans for your future? What do you want to do, do you want to study further? Also look at why you feel you have to go abroad to get what you want.

As you’ve said, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to stay within the US first to see what it’s like. You don’t want to be moving only to struggle and regret your decision. Remember it would be a long way from home and you wouldn’t necessarily be able to fly back at the drop of a hat.

PS I think a private plane would be more expensive than a commercial. I’m not entirely sure but that’s my thought.
Hi yes, I actually checked the rates on private planes again and realized that I had only been seeing a unique special JetBlue was doing where they were letting people rent for $500 a person to go to and from certain cities. It would actually be up to a few thousand per hour to rent normally. Maybe I would consider that if I were flying not so far away. So I live in New England, the weather here is horrible, it is May and the past few days have been gorgeous but tomorrow we are expecting a snowstorm.... It’s stuff like this that made me want to move to somewhere tropical/hot year round, like Florida or Los Angeles. I have tons of family in Florida and I had really been wanting to start somewhere on my own without running into my close relatives. Just a personal thing, I am a very independent person and my relationship with my family isn’t so great. LA seems like Instagram come to life so I was not too keen to go there, but I still love that culture so its a weird bipolar thing I have with that. I was looking to live in an English-speaking tropical country. I also love Australia, I watched Australian shows growing up and listened to music from Australian bands. Perth just seemed so beautiful I really wanted to go. I also have a specific job in mind that I would rather not disclose. I was looking for places where this job would be and Australia was a top contender. This type of job is not easily found in my country. Thanks for your reply.

What qualifications would you need to do this job? Do you have them already or are you planning to get them wherever the jobs are - Australia, say? I’d be wary of forming a picture based on programmes. I don’t think it would be all great, especially as a new arrival with bills etc to pay when you won’t get any money from the state. What could you do if you couldn’t get into this job you want?

Out of curiosity does Australia not do entries to work based on a points system or something? I can’t remember where I read/heard (possibly here) that it changes depending on demand. All things you can research on.

What qualifications would you need to do this job? Do you have them already or are you planning to get them wherever the jobs are - Australia, say? I’d be wary of forming a picture based on programmes. I don’t think it would be all great, especially as a new arrival with bills etc to pay when you won’t get any money from the state. What could you do if you couldn’t get into this job you want?

Out of curiosity does Australia not do entries to work based on a points system or something? I can’t remember where I read/heard (possibly here) that it changes depending on demand. All things you can research on.
Thanks for these ideas of questions, I certainly have a lot to think about and a year to do so. In the meantime, I don’t think my original post is helpful to anyone but me anymore so do you know how to remove it? It just seems like maybe a random thing to have on the forum now...

I wasn't even aware guinea pigs could catch rabies? 😱

Neither was I! So complicated for the little piggies of the world...

Thanks for these ideas of questions, I certainly have a lot to think about and a year to do so. In the meantime, I don’t think my original post is helpful to anyone but me anymore so do you know how to remove it? It just seems like maybe a random thing to have on the forum now...
You never know what people may find useful. If you really want it removed then report and state the reason.

We’d love to see photos of your piggies though. Might as well now you’re here 😊

As was mentioned briefly above, Australia are very strict on who they allow into the country. From what I know, they generally only accept people into the country to live if they will benefit the country somehow. This means already being qualified, potentially having years of experience, or be in a career that there is a need for over there.
The secrecy you have over your career choice has me very interested lol

Also, I can promise you other countries are no more fun and exciting than where you are now. Life, overall, is pretty mundane. You already live in a more economically developed country, along with an English speaking country, so your life experiences will not alter much whether you’re in America or Australia. Of course, the only thing that would differ is the weather which if you moved to Florida, as you suggested, would eliminate pretty much any difference between Australia and America. It also is a more sensible choice as you are aware of American laws, there is a sense of solidarity as you are among other Americans (whilst I’m not fully aware of American culture, whenever I travel to America from England, the cultural differences are very noticeable), if you are all alone in Australia you may struggle to meet new people (again, culture can play a big part in this. Americans, at least Floridians ((where I usually visit)) are very friendly and talkative with strangers, in British culture this is unusual) whereas to stay in Florida where you have family and familiarity is more sensible and if you are still struggling you can still move back home where you already have friends there.
I know you said your family life isn’t great right now, but moving all the way across the world isn’t a reasonable solution, especially when you can get everything you want in Florida! That’s just my take on it :)

Moving to Australia is a huge deal. Believe me I’ve just done it! And no you wouldn’t have been able to work here without a working visa. And if you planned on living here, it’s not easy nor simple. It cost me and my partner thousands and thousands. And you have to be sponsored through work or be bringing money and business into the country.
As you’ve found out already, you wouldn’t be able to bring your piggies. Luckily for me I can bring my horse who will be flying here soon. Don’t even ask how much debt I’m getting into with that!

You really need to travel to other countries before making such life changing decisions :)

Moving to Australia is a huge deal. Believe me I’ve just done it! And no you wouldn’t have been able to work here without a working visa. And if you planned on living here, it’s not easy nor simple. It cost me and my partner thousands and thousands. And you have to be sponsored through work or be bringing money and business into the country.
As you’ve found out already, you wouldn’t be able to bring your piggies. Luckily for me I can bring my horse who will be flying here soon. Don’t even ask how much debt I’m getting into with that!

You really need to travel to other countries before making such life changing decisions :)
How amazing. You will have a flying horse!
512x512bb.webp

As was mentioned briefly above, Australia are very strict on who they allow into the country. From what I know, they generally only accept people into the country to live if they will benefit the country somehow. This means already being qualified, potentially having years of experience, or be in a career that there is a need for over there.
The secrecy you have over your career choice has me very interested lol
Haha its a big secret 😉

Back