• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Traumatised Guinea Pig

VanessaC

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I took Jasper to the vet Thursday just gone as I noticed he wasn’t eating as much as usual, my previous guinea pig suffered with terrible gut stasis so I wanted to catch it as quick as possible. I brought his big brother Zeb with him whos very calm. When we got home he just sat there like a pillar of salt, he had 3 injections and is on some meds now. Zeb was trying to lick him but later he got really rough and kept jumping on jaspers back, Jasp didn’t like this at all, I don’t know if it was the right thing to do but I separated them for the night but when I got up in the morning he was still like a statue and hadn’t moved. He’s still not eating much but I’m supplementing with critical care. He got excited when I prepared the veg tonight but he didn’t eat that much. Is it normal for them to be traumatised for a few days? The vet said he could only feel a small bit of poo. He’s on emeraid, baytril and lactulose. I’ve given him a tiny bit of loxicam in case he’s in pain. I suppose it is positive he’s eating even though it’s not as much as usual but he really isn’t the happy bouncy boy he normally is. I’m traumatised too with loads of guilt 😥😓

Aw please don’t feel guilty you’ve done the right thing by taking him to the vets. I would ring the vet back if you are concerned. Poop output is 24 hours behind and you need to keep syringe top ups if he isn’t eating his regular amount. Weigh daily then you will see if he is eating enough, if losing weight then add more critical care syringe feeds, a full tummy will get his guts working x

Aw please don’t feel guilty you’ve done the right thing by taking him to the vets. I would ring the vet back if you are concerned. Poop output is 24 hours behind and you need to keep syringe top ups if he isn’t eating his regular amount. Weigh daily then you will see if he is eating enough, if losing weight then add more critical care syringe feeds, a full tummy will get his guts working x
Thank you x

Thanks everyone, he’s had some veg this eve, eating about half the amount as normal but that’s a big improvement from a couple of days ago. I don’t see him drinking his water much or his nuggets but he’s definitely eating hay. Maybe it takes a while to get his full appetite back, a bit like us when we’ve been ill

Back