Transporting piggies in the heat

LondonLady

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Tomorrow I will be taking Biscuit and Toffee to the boarder in preparation for my holiday, and I'm a bit worried about transporting them in this heat. We'll be using public transport as I don't drive. It's not a huge distance, but further than they're used to going in their carrier: a 15 minute bus ride then a 15 minute train ride and a very short walk. I'm probably worrying about nothing, but is there anything in particular I should do to make sure they're ok? I'm planning to give them some cucumber to nibble on the journey which will hopefully help to keep them cool and hydrated..

I would just make sure you place them on something thin, maybe even a towel with some newspaper underneath as it isn't a long journey.
When possible I would also try and keep them out of the sun (shaded), but not with a blanket or anything that will trap heat.

I offer my pigs water before we go anywhere, by holding the bottle up to their mouth out of the cage, they always seem to go crazy for it. Just incase they were too lazy to go to their bottle beforehand but still thirsty ;)

There is a bit about such in this guide - Travelling with guinea pigs
Good luck for tomorrow, I am sure your girls will be fine, and I hope you have a great holiday x

I would just make sure you place them on something thin, maybe even a towel with some newspaper underneath as it isn't a long journey.
When possible I would also try and keep them out of the sun (shaded), but not with a blanket or anything that will trap heat.

I offer my pigs water before we go anywhere, by holding the bottle up to their mouth out of the cage, they always seem to go crazy for it. Just incase they were too lazy to go to their bottle beforehand but still thirsty ;)

There is a bit about such in this guide - Travelling with guinea pigs
Good luck for tomorrow, I am sure your girls will be fine, and I hope you have a great holiday x
That's reassuring, thank you 🌝

You could take an ice brick or frozen part-full bottle of water, wrapped in a cloth, and if it's getting hot, put that in the carrier with them. Make sure it's wrapped so they can't directly touch it.

A damp cloth sitting on top of the carrier could also have a good evaporative cooling effect, just make sure you're not covering too many air holes.

Back