Toys

Sivlei

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know this is on a slightly different subject but after reading this I am at loss to what is a good toy for my piggies. Does anyone know of a good toy?

I have moved your post to its own new thread.

Piggies don’t need actually need commercial toys, most of them would be ignored as they don’t play as such.

A big pile of hay on the cage floor so they can run through it, forage in it, sleep in it etc is great fun for piggies. Making feeding time stimulating is a good way to keep them occupied. Don’t use food bowls and instead throw their veg portion and one tablespoon of pellets each into the pile of hay so they have to search for it amongst the hay. This is great mental stimulation for them and encourages their natural foraging instincts.

This guide explains other enrichment ideas
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Mine love a hay twisty - a cardboard toilet roll tube stuffed with hay. Keeps them busy for hours shredding the cardboard and munching on the hay.

I buy willow items for my pigs, as they love to chew! Any plain willow item, ball, tunnel etc.

I avoid any commercial “toys” aside from these, apart from things like tunnels and hides and the likes of carrot cottages.
As said above, a piggie will get much more enrichment from a pile of hay, maybe sometimes with their veg in it or some pea flakes, than from a “ball” or something alike.
I also avoid anything with an unnatural colour for chews etc.

As well as getting to know good toys, you may find it interesting to read through some ones you should avoid - Potentially Dangerous Cage Accessories And Toys

The best way to acquire big strong paper bags is to identify a store you really like and that provides big strong paper bags.
You then have to go shopping so that you can get the bags for your piggies.

IMG_6498.webp My ‘go to‘ shop for the piggies.

Some forum members have to buy wine just so that their piggies have exciting boxes to destroy

The best way to acquire big strong paper bags is to identify a store you really like and that provides big strong paper bags.
You then have to go shopping so that you can get the bags for your piggies.

View attachment 227277 My ‘go to‘ shop for the piggies.

Some forum members have to buy wine just so that their piggies have exciting boxes to destroy
My partner keeps going back to a very expensive Italian ice cream shop for the paper bags. The piggies love the bags, I don't like to complain too much about the lack of space this causes in the freezer as I'm rather partial to the Hazelnut and Chocolate.

Back