• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Toxic antibiotic

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please see Boris' prob under 'Cystitis or stones' thread

But today I found out this new vet has been giving subcut injections of Amoxycillin

I've just read this is TOXIC to guinea pigs.

What will happen??

Help - a rather scared Alex

I think this is penicilln which is harmful to pigs, I don't know what the effects will be, sorry, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along to help shortly.

Rather than wait around her for someone to come on surely you should be on the phone to the vet to tell them that those AB are not for piggies - I would!!

Luckily my piggie-savvy friend Alyson has offered to drive me over to see my good vet. We're going there for 2:30pm to see what he can do to help Boris. He's gonna phone this other vet to find out exactly what he's given Boris and at what dose. Once I've spoken to my good vet I shall ring this other one up to tell him about the toxicity thing

All of the penicillin group of antibiotics are potentially toxic to piggies,I have known pigs go into shock and die after being injected with these drugs.If the piggy is strong,it may be o.k..I do not think there is an antidote.

The problem is as mentioned on the GL site. It is hugely important that your piggy is now stuffed full of probiotics as this antibiotic will kill off every single good form of bacteria. It is certainly not safe when injected or administered orally but obviously its effect on the gut will not be as bad as it would have been if administered orally. As you are doing already a second opinion is a matter of urgency.

Every vet I've met has known that penicillin and its derivatives are toxic to cavies - this vet needs to know this before he does it again.

Fortunately my friend whisked me and Boris over to Ken. He agreed that Boris shouldn't have been given Amoxycillin as it can cause colitis x. He said if Boris wasn't showing signs of this yet that was a good sign. Ken gave Boris an x-ray without anaesthetic and said he had sludge in his bladder that would probably turn into a stone if left untreated. So he's prescribed Lasix diuretic to flush it through and Septrin. Poor Mr Boris seems very tired today and keeps sleeping. I'm keeping a beady eye on him.

Phoned the other vet and reported the dangerous error. Think I shall follow this up with a letter citing some reputable refernces from the Net. Humph

Lots and lots and lots of water will help flush that stone through too. Diuretics are good but if you can get as much water down him as possible it will help to flush it all through. Glad you got to see Ken again, have heard good things about him ;)

So glad boris seems ok, his tiredness is probably due to the antibiotics, mine were very inactive when they were on baytril and that is nower near as strong so try not to worry too much, i suppose its just like some antibiotics make humans drowsy. good luck to boris hope he gets well soon :)
Love Emma x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back