towels

bellaandclover

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hello!

can u use towels for bedding for an outside hutch? we would probabaly put some bedding over it and some hay but would it
be good for them?

Not outside in winter, they won’t dry and then the piggies will be sitting on damp bedding which can make them poorly

It depends on the weather - it’s not recommended to use fabric bedding outside if the weather is damp (ie a damp t summer) as it can really restrict its ability to dry and in some cases can wick moisture from the air so the bedding remains damp.
If you are going to be using an absorbent layer such as shavings, aubiose, megazorb etc, then I don’t think there is really any benefit in using towels underneath it

It depends on the weather - it’s not recommended to use fabric bedding outside if the weather is damp (ie a damp t summer) as it can really restrict its ability to dry and in some cases can wick moisture from the air so the bedding remains damp.
If you are going to be using an absorbent layer such as shavings, aubiose, megazorb etc, then I don’t think there is really any benefit in using towels underneath
yeah, we use megazorb, thank you :)

I agree with what @Piggies&buns has said above that we've sometime found that fabric bedding outside can actually seem to pull in moisture from the surrounding air. We do put a newspaper layer at the bottom in our hutch but this is principally for ease of cleaning, i.e. so we can roll it all up together and chuck it in the compost.

Washable puppy mats might work, they tend to wick away moisture into the absorbant layer quite well- I think @Betsy has used the Inconti-pet ones outdoors under hay? I use them indoors and they are very good, soak up 3 days of pee and some water bottle leakage but still feel dry to the touch! Towels just get soggy, there's nowhere for the pee to go...

Yes @PigglePuggle when my piggies were outside I used the Inconti-pet washable puppy mats under hay in the hutch and they worked really well. I cleared the damp hay away every couple of days and did a full cage clean once a week.

Washable puppy mats might work, they tend to wick away moisture into the absorbant layer quite well- I think @Betsy has used the Inconti-pet ones outdoors under hay? I use them indoors and they are very good, soak up 3 days of pee and some water bottle leakage but still feel dry to the touch! Towels just get soggy, there's nowhere for the pee to go...
thank you for the advice :)

Back