Tornado Preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAH

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How soon should you prepare for a tornado? I'm under a tornado watch for the past 2 hours. And will likely be so for the next 4hrs or 5hrs. I am talking putting animals in. Down to the basement deal. I have 4 guinea pigs, plus my children.

Oh lordy, I'm guessing your in the States?
No idea about Tornado's we don't suffer a great deal in the UK although they are on the increase.

I'd keep your ear to the radio station and bring your piggies indoors, after all, can you imagine if you had the power to prevent piggies getting harmed and you didn't?

I have a room that they are in on the main floor. And we have a basement that's it. I got a couple cat carriers that they can be put in. That are at the ready. The whole western part of my state it feels like. Was put under tornado watch from about 1245pm to 7pm est.

I absolutely cried the last time I lost piggies due to a fire engulfing my home 10 years ago. I still live in fear that something like that or a natural disaster could occur to me. Took me close to 8 years before I even felt like I could love another piggy again.

I feel like I have got to have a plan to prevent things happening to my lovelies now.

I was just checking out the latest news, does appear there is quite a bit of activity, although currently the expected mph is 55.

Fingers crossed for you.

@DAH I have no personal experience of this as I'm in the UK.

But if the basement area has a good cage down there I'd shift them down there whenever the watch notice cane through. It won't harm them being in a different cage for a while.

I remember someone on Guinea Lynx going through a tornado and losing some of her pigs and rats. Shes built a special room since then and moves them regularly for practice.

I just am trying to figure the best way to keep from getting traumatized again. And keep all my babies (regular and furry) as close to 100% safe as possible.

You can only do the best you can for your fur baby's & family. If it's cold down there, put the piggies in carriers, it'll be warmer. Also your family may be safer down there. But just follow the emergency services instructions.
If you can let us know, let us know your all safe.
Hugs to you all.

I have had no experience with tornado's either, we get cyclones over here but not usually this far up. I have my fingers crossed that you and your family and the piggies will stay safe.

I never experienced a tornado, but I have slept through a hurricane whilst extremely paralytic! It ripped off the front of my accommodation! :beer: :yikes:

I just am trying to figure the best way to keep from getting traumatized again. And keep all my babies (regular and furry) as close to 100% safe as possible.

Do you have practice runs so you can keep your panic level to a minimum?

Someone I follow on Instagram witnessed a big appartmemt block fire a few months ago. Since then she's started to have her own fire drill so she can collect all of the pigs and their supplies and leave early.

I keep a box or basket near the pig cage all of the time, just in case I need to get them out of the house quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back