• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tooth root has grown out through the bottom of the jaw.

J3nnst3r

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, this is going to sound really bad and like a ‘please help the sweet baby cross the rainbow bridge right away’ scenario.

However, miraculously she has been doing ‘great’ and appears to be enjoying life - just wanted to start off on that note.

The main question I have ***** is it possible to trim a tooth’s root?***

Her name is Winnie, she is my absolute heart. I picked her up from a neglect case in February 2019 - so she has been in my care for just over 5 years. I am not entirely sure her age. I would guess 6.

Starting it summer 2022 I discovered she could not eat on her own. She wanted to- but she could not. She is my everything and I spent all day every day syringe feeding, chopping up hay real fine and mixed with shredded cucumber , and wow I think it was two months later her X-rays looked better and she was eating on her own. I was told she had level 1 dental disease and based on x-ray it was thought it was started by some sort of trauma to the teeth.

A few months later, November 2022, I discovered she had an abscess the size of a gold ball under her chin - this was drained and cared for.

It never completely healed - it took a long while to figure what was happening, but we realized her tooth root was growing out the bottom of her jaw.

I unfortunately was very broke in 2023 so she could not receive proper care for this until end of summer/beginning of fall. In November we started her antibiotics and meloxicam. She has been taking these medications everyday since - with a few breaks in between of the antibiotics (21 days of antibiotics at a time).

Last summer she was staying around 830-860grams, she dropped to 800g in the winter, then 750 grams in January. She is staying between 730-780grams currently.

She eats pellets, hay, veggies and treats on her own. I do soak the vitamin c tablets and treats just go make them easier. She gets syringe feeding as well.

Through all this her tooth root continues to grow and appears to be on path to curve up and to push back into her jaw - the root tip appears to be 1-2mm from her jaw now…..

Her jaw is infected bone, fragile… but do we think we could trim the tooth root? I am in a financial spot where I can thankfully afford surgurgy/x-rays now etc.. and I have sent a message to my vet regarding this - but this is obviously a unique situation and I don’t think many folks if all have every seen their Guinea pig experience the tooth root grow out through the jaw and their piggy continue to live , as far as I can tell - with still joy and quality… I don’t want watching that 1-2mm gap close be the final count down before I help her pass. Everything else about her is in great health.

Please - do we think there is any method/possibility of trimming the tooth root so it does not push back into her jaw? Are there nerves in the tooth root?

To add - for this scenario my Vet has said there is no cure, no surgery, or anything. All we can do is manage her comfort and then when I know it is time - I will help her cross. It sounds crazy that that time has not come, I know… she is of course in at least some discomfort and Guinea pigs are prey animals and skilled at hiding pain. Her name is Winnie because she was very vocal and whiney when I first got her 🤣 she has been pampered and loved and she is incredibly calm with me - any other piggy of mine to go through this and the decision would probably have been sooner because I know this would have been stressful for them but she she is so used to being handled and pampered and I trust the spark in her eye and the strength is her wheeks that she still wants to make more memories if given the choice 🙏

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry.

@furryfriends (TEAS) may be best poised to answer your question.

Personally, I would think that an operation involving a jaw, especially an already fragile one, is not something any vet would operate on when it comes to a such a small animal as a guinea pig because the risk of breaking the jaw is just too big - and for a guinea pig this would be the end. I wish I had better news.

HUGS

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry.

Personally, I would think that an operation involving a jaw, especially an already fragile one, is not something any vet would operate on when it comes to a such a small animal as a guinea pig because the risk of breaking the jaw is just too big - and for a guinea pig this would be the end. I wish I had better news.

HUGS
Thank you 🙏

Hugs are definitely appreciated 😭

Just to clarify - the tooth root is outside of her jaw and we have full visibility of it - I do agree about the fragileness of the jaw. I think I see tooth trimmings are done with like clippers and I’m worried if we were to try the same on the exposed tooth root that it would be too much pressure and break the jaw :( but I’m not sure if anyone has ever filed/trimmed exposed tooth root before and what may be possible…

I have a feeling my vet will agree that there is nothing further to do , but I’m hoping there is some sort of gentle way to file the exposed root back….

Oh how they steal our hearts 💔

Thank you 🙏

Hugs are definitely appreciated 😭

Just to clarify - the tooth root is outside of her jaw and we have full visibility of it - I do agree about the fragileness of the jaw. I think I see tooth trimmings are done with like clippers and I’m worried if we were to try the same on the exposed tooth root that it would be too much pressure and break the jaw :( but I’m not sure if anyone has ever filed/trimmed exposed tooth root before and what may be possible…

I have a feeling my vet will agree that there is nothing further to do , but I’m hoping there is some sort of gentle way to file the exposed root back….

Oh how they steal our hearts 💔

Teeth should never be clipped. But I have also never heard of a filed exposed tooth root. However, dentals are not my strength.

My vet got back to me, it wasn’t a ‘No, I’m sorry’ , it was a ‘bring her in and we’ll see what can be done’ so it’s nice to know there might be a way to trim the exposed root alongs her jaw seems strong enough, etc 🥹🙏 just in case I’m going to spoil the absolutely heck out of her this week and have a lil celebration of life before we go in should something happen while she is sedated. This weekend is supposed to be nice so I think she’s actually going to get a day in the grass at the park with me 🥹🥹🥹

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry.

HUGS
I haven’t got any experience of this. We deal with a lot of piggies with elongated tooth roots and generally, as long as the crowns of the teeth are correct, the guinea is able to eat. Some may need some ongoing pain relief, but almost all have done well.

Last edited:
I haven’t got any experience of this. We deal with a lot of piggies with elongated tooth roots and generally, as long as the crowns of the teeth are correct, the guinea is able to eat. Some may need some ongoing pain relief, but almost all have done well.
Thank you.

Her tooth root fell off on its own 2 days before the appointment - was quite the surprise! I thought it was cause for celebration but she then had trouble eating.. which after some time she can now eat pellets and hay on her own.

However, she seems to be having a temperature issue? When she gets warms - she becomes lopsided including a head tilt. Once you cool her down with a frozen bag of veggies beside her - she suddenly is up right, head straight and very perky again and immediately eats.

It is warm outside now. But it’s gotten to the point where it is 18’c in the apartment, and if she curls up somewhere where she can get warm - this happens. Sometimes the ears aren’t even red.

It is probably time I made the decision for her to help her pass. But I’m wondering if you have ever experienced this. I’m trying to understand if this is an organ failing, a tooth root issue going upwards towards her brain that is fine unless her body swell with heat, if this infection and I should restart her antibiotics……. I guess looking for more affirmation that it is time to make the appointment and that there is nothing more to do. Only thing I can think of to try is antibiotics again but I don’t want that to be her last few days - she hates them.

It’s like she is cold and warm at the same time :(

Sorry to hear she's still not 100% 😞
Thank you ❤️ I was really getting ready to book the appointment yesterday. She was in her lopsided state which I had associated with overheating/heat stroke but shivering like she is cold. She started the day at 678g…

I went back and forth on cuddling her to warm her up and having her against frozen veg. Eventually let her be against the frozen veg for longer and she righted herself up again. She had a really big appetite yesterday, I fed her apple, critical care, pellets, hay, she was weighing 712g by end of. She hasn’t had a lopsided state since… she was great all evening , over night, and today.

It is about 16/17’C in the apartment yesterday evening and today - but she has been cuddled up in blankets until she is toasty warm with red ears and no lopsidedness? So maybe the lopsided state was being brought on not just by heat but when she is overheating +++ low on food?

I really don’t know what to think. But I decided to start her on antibiotics again, she’s had two doses now about to have a third and I’m keeping apple as part of her feedings now in case the sugar is helping? Lil nervous combining the sugar with the antibiotics…

But again she’s been SO GOOD for almost 24 hours now which is a first in a week - she’s looking at me like why the heck were you crying mama I’m still here and kicking 😂

Again, really don’t know what to think. Don’t know if issue is going to come back once warmer again - but she’s warm in her blanket fine now which was an issue before yesterday?

Only thing new yesterday was giving apple, and hand feeding pellets. Otherwise I had been feeding hay, lots of oxbow vitamin c tablets, and cucumber. She seemed to perk up for regular pellets though..

Anyways sorry for the long ramble. Just wanted to share details in case something stands out to someone as what may be going on - and also to share she’s great right in this moment 😊 she’s keeping a sharp on me and begging for treats frequently ahah. gives me hope. But I know terminal illness is a roller coaster so I’m just going to enjoy the good times and try to make sure I’m listening when her eyes tell me she’s ready.

My vet, bless her, is also not 100% sure what is occurring - we’re hesitant to poke and prod her too much further right now for testing and to just make sure she has pain meds and have a end of life plan.

Fingers crossed combination of keeping eye on temp, having a sweet treat daily, pain meds, antibiotics, lots of food.. all keep her lopsided state experiences away 🤞

I can't offer advice but send you and your precious piggy loads of love and positive vibes. She will know how much you love her :hug:

I’m sorry I have no advice to give but you sound like you are doing everything right and that you possibly can, take care of you too :hug:

Thank you everyone for the kind words, support and safe space to ramble and share about my Winnie ❤️

I’ve added a couple gifs of Winnie eating pepper today as cute tax ❤️

Attachments

• 8F45E174-9566-4106-9E13-D723C71E6FFB.gif
    8F45E174-9566-4106-9E13-D723C71E6FFB.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 9E4EF5AA-17B4-475F-9F61-49C4EC6226D8.gif
    9E4EF5AA-17B4-475F-9F61-49C4EC6226D8.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • E2467A0F-8C8D-4A94-9271-BFD03AC9E400.webp
    E2467A0F-8C8D-4A94-9271-BFD03AC9E400.webp
    74.2 KB · Views: 1
Back