Too Soon For A Bath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Her Nibship

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My three rescue boys (Zebedee, Dylan and Dougal) have been with me for 10 days now. They will now hand feed (typical piggies - put up with me when there's food in it for them!) but are still pretty nervous about being picked up. The thing is, they don't smell the sweetest! Don't get me wrong, they're certainly not stinky, they're just not as fresh and fragrant as the girls. What I'm wondering is, bearing in mind that they are still building up their confidence with being picked up, would it completely stress them out to bath them at this point? Would I be best to give them a while longer to get a bit more confident? By the way, none of them are long haired. Dougal is smooth haired, Dylan is mainly smooth but with a bit of a quiff going on above him eyes, and Zebedee I can best describe as rocking the electrocuted rat look! (But cute with it, obviously!)
P.S. It might be relevant to people's answers that they aren't indoor piggies. They live in a hutch in a shed. They have cosy beds and hides, obviously, Snugglesafes and a hutch cover. The shed window also has one of those insulating silver screens (like you have for campervans) that is put up at night.

2 of mine that I had when I was younger lived in a hutch in a shed and they were fine after being bathed, but were usually bathed when it was warm weather.
I've had Cookie and Cream for a month and I bathed them for the first time on Monday (not by choice, vet's orders due to ring worm) and they were completely fine! I just put a tiny bit of water in the sink then poured the water over them and they barely moved (apart from Cookie trying to get out and explore at one point haha!)
But if you bath them, bath them all together as they'll be happier together (I'd advise you to have someone else helping just in case any of them decide they want to run off!)

After tonight, things are getting colder again, so I wouldn't recommend it. If things are really bad, give them a good bum wipe in the morning so they have the warmer day to dry off. If necessary offer snugglesafes.

We had our pigs for about two months before we gave them a bath just yesterday. I was just concerned that their coats seemed kind of greasy and they were a little smelly too. We were expecting it to be more difficult than it actually was, phew! Martin hated it but he's smaller and calmed down once he was wrapped up in a towel and didn't mind being blow dryed whilst he ate a treat. Nelson seemed to quite like getting washed but then was trying to escape by any means necessary from the hairdryer unfortunately so that was difficult as he was writhing around like mad but my partner held him as I dried him. Not planning to do them again until probably July or something. We wipe their ears, grease glands, and genitals and bum about once a week with a baby wipe though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back