Too scared to eat

luckyandsammy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yesterday after the guinea pigs were given their vegetables, I noticed that one of them, Kiwi, is not eating and is hiding in his tunnel instead. Remi, who lives with him was eating all the vegetables. I gave Kiwi a slice of carrot and he had a few bites but then didn’t want anymore. I got him out of the cage, worried that he’s sick or he’s hurt himself. He was perfectly fine, he ate a bit of pepper but didn’t want anything else.
I put him back in the cage and he ran straight into the tunnel. I put a fresh pile of hay in the cage and he didn’t run to it like he usually does. Then, I put a few nuggets in the cage. He came over, but then he got chased away by Remi before he could eat!
They have been a bit tense recently, chattering over piles of hay and chasing but they haven’t hurt each other. I checked both of them over and there’s no bites/scratches. I don’t know what could have happened during the day, to make Kiwi so scared of Remi. As it was late and I was worried about him I put a temporary divider in their cage. I put some vegetables in the tunnel Kiwi keeps hiding in, and he ate them during the night. I have also put hay just outside it and he does stick his head out to eat it but he will not come out. Since he seems so scared, I also put a bit of fabric against the grids so that he can’t see Remi but I’m not sure if it helped at all. He hasn’t done many poos during the night, so I don’t think he ate much yesterday. :(
I had to go to work but I left him with a chunk of cucumber in the tunnel, some nuggets and a pile of readigrass and hay. He nibbled on the cucumber and he was eating readigrass when I left.
How do I proceed?
They have lived together since August. Remi is 2 and 8 months old and Kiwi is 9 months.

I agree, a vet check is needed, along with switching to daily weight checks and stepping in with syringe feeding. Poop output is 1-2 days behind food intake so if he didn’t poop much yesterday then it means he hasn’t been eating properly for a few days longer than you think.

You need to find out if there is a medical cause first and foremost before looking to any bullying/bond issues

I hope he is ok

Back