• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Too much Invermectin

chloooo123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
I just applied some 1% ivermectin on my guinea pig the bottle says two drops for her weight but as I was squeezing out the drops a lot more come out than needed. I dont even know how much but I tried to wipe it off with a wet towel but I’m really panicky right now and feel so bad. Is she going to be okay?
[HEADING=2][/HEADING]

Please call your vet, or if they are now closed then speak to the out of hours for advice.

They will be best placed to know how much of an overdose is likely to have occurred and what needs to be done .

I hope she is ok

Hello,
I just applied some 1% ivermectin on my guinea pig the bottle says two drops for her weight but as I was squeezing out the drops a lot more come out than needed. I dont even know how much but I tried to wipe it off with a wet towel but I’m really panicky right now and feel so bad. Is she going to be okay?
[HEADING=2][/HEADING]

Hi

With little luck you have wiped most of it off before it could be absorbed by the skin.

Please ring the out-of-hours services overnight or your vet tomorrow if your piggy is suddenly looking unwell, apathetic or is losing their appetite. Offer them some extra water or water veg to help work any poison through the kidneys fast but please do not overhydrate either in your panic (which can be fatal).

Hello, it’s been 18 hours now and she seems to be okay she’s eating and drinking, other than some abnormally shaped poops but nothing crazy. Now the initial panic has worn off I don’t think too much more went on her than needed probably like 2-3 maybe more drops then needed and. A lot of it was in her hair. I’ve been providing water and lots of hay. Do you know when I would be in the clear from any bad side effects from this?

Hello, it’s been 18 hours now and she seems to be okay she’s eating and drinking, other than some abnormally shaped poops but nothing crazy. Now the initial panic has worn off I don’t think too much more went on her than needed probably like 2-3 maybe more drops then needed and. A lot of it was in her hair. I’ve been providing water and lots of hay. Do you know when I would be in the clear from any bad side effects from this?

If needed, give her a bath so she doesn't take it on orally via her piggy washes.

Here is a link to overdosing side effects in guinea pigs. There should be hopefully no long term damage from milder overdosing.
Guinea Lynx :: Ivermectin

Back