• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Too much grass?

• Thread starter Thread starter maisydaisystar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maisydaisystar

hi,
i'm guessing maisy ate too much grass yesterday, and has a dirty bum today, star and toffee are fine, havn't given any veggies to her this morning, only hay and pellets, i wont put her out today,should i limit the amount of time she spends on the grass? and increase it slowly?

no only grass, she was being greedy mind you. it's all i can think of that it can be.

too much grass especially early on in the spring can cause bloat a potential fatel condition as already said introduce grass gradually and have some gripe water ready,

Yes, 15 minutes at a time only, or do as I do and put lots of guineas in one run so that they can only have have a little grass each. Keep some gripe water to hand in case of bloat then contact your vet. I've had several with minor bloat already ::) Put them straight onto hay. Or put them onto concrete/hardstanding so at least they get to go out.

Mine have grass (to some extent) all the year round, and always have handfuls of freshly picked grass before they go out in the run for the first time and 'pig' themselves ( ;)) with no problems, so I definitely agree with the gradual approach.

Please all be carefull on how much grass they are having. We had a little guinea pig in this week that lost his life due to eating too much.

moved their hutch and run back onto concrete, will keep a close eye on her, she has been eating her hay.

we had 2 guinea pigs with dirty bums the first time we found lacy had passed away when we came to her in the morning.then one night we got home and lady had a dirty bum,we took her straight to the vets and had to give her medicine for 2 weeks, she had an infection and luckily she pulled through.it might just be that shes had too much just be aware it might be an infection.get better soon piggie!!

hi,
have just bought maisy indoors to keep a close eye on her, want to make sure she eats her hay and pellets, if not will start to hand feed.she is just being quiet, but she is like that anyway, so it's hard to access how she's feeling.

well i have definantly learnt my lesson,even though the grass didn't affect my other two,i will really be careful on how much grass they get, and will slowly increase.
i couldn't tell if she was eating today or not as she is very shy, and with me watching she wasn't going near her food, so have given her some critical care to be on the safe side, luckily i had some in, she also had a good drink of her water too.have seen her munch some hay.
her poop is still soft but not really wet, will see how she is in the morning.
thanks for all your replies.

she seems fine today, her bum wasn't wet, and she was eating, she had a lovely warm bath, a blow dry, a run around in the hall to make sure she was totally dry, and was then reunited with the other two, will still keep a close eye on her though.
thanks for asking how she is. nice to have the support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back