Too much cuteness: how on earth do I choose 2?!

Emibee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! After months of research, I’ll be collecting my new baby piggies this weekend! They’re boys, and will be living in a 6ft 2-tier Chartwell hutch, so I’m confident they’ll have enough space to ‘be’ boys! When I visited them, however, I fell in love with 3 baby boars: a Teddy, and part-Swiss Teddy twins (only one of whom has a rough coat.) They’re all gorgeous; all are well-handled... there’s nothing to choose between them! I know I can’t have 3 boys without ending up with separate cages - which I don’t want to do - so how do I choose?!?! 🤷‍♀️
I apologise for what is probably a really daft question! But I’d appreciate the thoughts of anyone who’s been in this situation before.
Thank you 😊 xx

It’s good you’ve got a 6ft hutch (the upper level doesn’t count towards the cage size though) As that is the recommended size for two boys.

In terms of choosing, really you want the piggies to choose each other rather than you choosing them. If there are two which are already choosing to spend their time together then that is the best thing. It’s not a guarantee of a long term successful bond but when choosing piggies on spec it’s a good starting point.

Hello! After months of research, I’ll be collecting my new baby piggies this weekend! They’re boys, and will be living in a 6ft 2-tier Chartwell hutch, so I’m confident they’ll have enough space to ‘be’ boys! When I visited them, however, I fell in love with 3 baby boars: a Teddy, and part-Swiss Teddy twins (only one of whom has a rough coat.) They’re all gorgeous; all are well-handled... there’s nothing to choose between them! I know I can’t have 3 boys without ending up with separate cages - which I don’t want to do - so how do I choose?!?! 🤷‍♀️
I apologise for what is probably a really daft question! But I’d appreciate the thoughts of anyone who’s been in this situation before.
Thank you 😊 xx

Hi!

Look for which two boys are getting on best. While all are cute, how they get through teenage is much more important for you in the longer term! Sadly, most piggies are not chosen for who they are friends with but for their looks. :(
If a well bonded pair is your first priority, then a good welfare standard rescue is by far the best place for a problem-free start. Keep in mind that piggies are cute babies for just a few week but hormonal teenagers for months and adults for most of the time. It is the personality balance during teenage that is the crack point for every boar bond.

Here is our boar guide and our pair guide for more in-depth information:
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)

Please double check the gender of your piggies upon arrival unless you are adopting from one of our recommended rescues.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

Hope to see pics of your new arrivals when you get them.
All piggies are cute but go with the pair who are happiest together.

I agree with picking the two that seem closest. I got my two boys after they were separated from the others because they had conjunctivitis, so I knew they had to have been pretty close, and yes, it definitely came in handy during the teen months when they were pushing each other’s buttons 😅

I agree with picking the two that seem closest. I got my two boys after they were separated from the others because they had conjunctivitis, so I knew they had to have been pretty close, and yes, it definitely came in handy during the teen months when they were pushing each other’s buttons 😅
Haha! Yes, they must have been close! Did their bond survive the terrible teens?! I’m guessing it did! 😀

It did indeed (thank goodness, because Oggie in particular was a pain in the neck!) but they’re 18 months old now, much calmer, and even better buds than they were before 🙂

It did indeed (thank goodness, because Oggie in particular was a pain in the neck!) but they’re 18 months old now, much calmer, and even better buds than they were before 🙂
Aww, that’s lovely! I’ll keep my fingers crossed that my boys are best friends, too!

Yay! Pics once they’re a little more settled. Welcome to the world of piggy slaves 🤣

Back