Tomorrow we're going with Brie to let her choose a roommate

Pinby!

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As I mentioned in another thread, tomorrow we're going with Brie, our (new!) one-month old sow, to a shelter so she can choose a sow to become her roommate.

She has two 'friends' at home, her brothers (we adopted all three of them), but as they have to live separately, she feels quite lonely.

I have sort of chosen a one-year old Abyssinian sow, but we'll see if they like each other.

So, this is where I was heading... how will I be able to tell if they like each other during their 'date'?

Also, I've read that during the bonding process they'll have to live separately, is that right? If so, how long will they have to live apart? (I worry that instead if having one sad and lonely guinea pig, I'll end up with two sad piggies!)

Sorry I ask so many silly questions.

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned in another thread, tomorrow we're going with Brie, our (new!) one-month old sow, to a shelter so she can choose a sow to become her roommate.

She has two 'friends' at home, her brothers (we adopted all three of them), but as they have to live separately, she feels quite lonely.

I have sort of chosen a one-year old Abyssinian sow, but we'll see if they like each other.

So, this is where I was heading... how will I be able to tell if they like each other during their 'date'?

Also, I've read that during the bonding process they'll have to live separately, is that right? If so, how long will they have to live apart? (I worry that instead if having one sad and lonely guinea pig, I'll end up with two sad piggies!)

Hi

Please take the time to read our very comprehensive bonding guide, which looks at every stage of the bonding process in detail with the appropriate bonding dynamics and behaviours. You should find it very helpful.
Here is is the link; I would strongly recommend that you read it and that you bookmark the link if you want yo look it up at the shelter: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Here is our behaviours list: A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Speed dating with teenagers/adults over 4 months means that you best bring them home in separate carriers. With babies desperate on companionship, they can travel with any adult with a maternal/paternal instinct who will protect them straight away but if you have any concerns about the new piggy being stressed out, then please use different carriers.

With babies you should put them in a shared bonding pen straight away; under 4 months the need for company is so great that it comes before any other considerations (see chapter baby bonding in the bonding guide).
The bonding process is not something you can do in small portions; once you have committed, you need to see it through.

With just the first hurdle taken at the shelter (i.e. initial acceptance) but most of the bonding process still to do at home, there is a certain risk of one of the piggies suddenly panicking and instinctive defence biting in close confines with what is at that stage still a stranger on the journey home. You have to see how your older sow is reacting to the baby and take it from there. There is one rule that fits everything.
Once they have been together for 2-3 days and their bond has been stress tested in residential bonding, this risk has passed and they can come home together as a bonded pair.
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs (see the different types of rescue dating; you have to go with what is available)
Travelling with guinea pigs

Please be open-minded that another piggy may vibe better with Brie than the one you have chosen. I have certainly come home several times with different piggy to the one that been reserved. But with my piggy getting their choice, it has always made for a happy bond. I've also had a fair number of piggies that were perfect on paper not work out at all when they met face to face. Baby acceptance is generally pretty high, so it will hopefully work out for you, whichever sow will take Brie under her wings. ;)

You will understand my advice much better once you have read the links.

All the best!

Hi everyone,

No, they don’t live separately during bonding - that isn’t bonding.
When you get them home tomorrow, as you are only speed dating at the rescue, you need to put them on neutral territory and bond them. Once successful after a few hours in the neutral territory pen, then you can move them to the cage together. If all goes well in the neutral area, then you do not separate them again. Doing so would interrupt the process and mean they would need to start all once again.

Hi

Please take the time to read our very comprehensive bonding guide, which looks at every stage of the bonding process in detail with the appropriate bonding dynamics and behaviours. You should find it very helpful.
Here is is the link; I would strongly recommend that you read it and that you bookmark the link if you want yo look it up at the shelter: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Here is our behaviours list: A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Speed dating with teenagers/adults over 4 months means that you best bring them home in separate carriers. With babies desperate on companionship, they can travel with any adult with a maternal/paternal instinct who will protect them straight away but if you have any concerns about the new piggy being stressed out, then please use different carriers.

With babies you should put them in a shared bonding pen straight away; under 4 months the need for company is so great that it comes before any other considerations (see chapter baby bonding in the bonding guide).

With just the first hurdle taken at the shelter (i.e. initial acceptance) but most of the bonding process still to do at home, there is a certain risk of one of the piggies suddenly panicking and instinctive defence biting in close confines with what is at that stage still a stranger on the journey home. You have to see how your older sow is reacting to the baby and take it from there. There is one rule that fits everything.
Once they have been together for 2-3 days and their bond has been stress tested in residential bonding, this risk has passed and they can come home together as a bonded pair.
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs (see the different types of rescue dating; you have to go with what is available)
Travelling with guinea pigs

Please be open-minded that another piggy may vibe better with Brie than the one you have chosen. I have certainly come home several times with different piggy to the one that been reserved. But with my piggy getting their choice, it has always made for a happy bond. I've also had a fair number of piggies that were perfect on paper not work out at all when they met face to face. Baby acceptance is generally pretty high, so it will hopefully work out for you, whichever sow will take Brie under her wings. ;)

You will understand my advice much better once you have read the links.

All the best!
Thank you for your advice, @Wiebke ! I had in the meantime found the post you linked and read it (I've watched most of the videos as well!)

What you said is very reassuring, tbh - and so was the fact that the person from the shelter I chose said that ideally I should go with Brie :) The essence of her email goes along the same lines with what you said (Brie is the one who needs to choose, you'll see who she 'clicks' with).

Any tips on travelling with them on a cold day? Tomorrow it'll be between 1-5° C... and I'm worried about the fact that we're travelling on public transportation. I was planning to put inside each of the cat carriers one of those thermic pouches to carry your lunch to work (of course, leaving it open!), wrapping a blanket around it and placing a fleece hat/cut-out inside of it. I really wouldn't want them to catch cold! Sadly, I don't have a warm water bottle. And it's over two hours to get there, and then over two hours to get back. Plus waiting for the train and buses (I think we'll have to wait like half an hour for the first bus).

Is that too much?

No, they don’t live separately during bonding - that isn’t bonding.
When you get them home tomorrow, as you are only speed dating at the rescue, you need to put them on neutral territory and bond them. Once successful after a few hours in the neutral territory pen, then you can move them to the cage together. If all goes well in the neutral area, then you do not separate them again. Doing so would interrupt the process and mean they would need to start all once again.
Thank you! That's something I hadn't understood!

Thank you for your advice, @Wiebke ! I had in the meantime found the post you linked and read it (I've watched most of the videos as well!)

What you said is very reassuring, tbh - and so was the fact that the person from the shelter I chose said that ideally I should go with Brie :) The essence of her email goes along the same lines with what you said (Brie is the one who needs to choose, you'll see who she 'clicks' with).

Any tips on travelling with them on a cold day? Tomorrow it'll be between 1-5° C... and I'm worried about the fact that we're travelling on public transportation. I was planning to put inside each of the cat carriers one of those thermic pouches to carry your lunch to work (of course, leaving it open!), wrapping a blanket around it and placing a fleece hat/cut-out inside of it. I really wouldn't want them to catch cold! Sadly, I don't have a warm water bottle. And it's over two hours to get there, and then over two hours to get back. Plus waiting for the train and buses (I think we'll have to wait like half an hour for the first bus).

Is that too much?

Please see the link for travelling with guinea pigs for practical provisions for weather extremes in my post above. The links are all well worth reading because they contain all the practical how to tips that we simply cannot repeat in full in every single post, seeing that we are all doing this for free in our free time on top of another paying job.

For this reason I have written the information guide links and have made sure that they are as comprehensive, detailed and complete as I can make them so they should really answer most of your questions. ;)

You can also find the guides via our information resource link on the top bar (with a smaller device click on the three parallel bars icon): Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection (another link you may want to bookmark and use for in-depth information on the aspects listed.

It sounds like you are dealing with an experienced bonder, so Brie should be in safe hands there. ;)

Hope all goes well and Brie finds a lovely friend.
All being well another lucky piggy is going to have a wonderful new home tomorrow

Back