Tomatoes

Tahi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to ask if feeding my guinea pig tomatoes is bad for her? I've red between yes and no. I really don't know I just have been sticking to a bit of her pellets, lettuce, cucumber, bell peppers and carrots (occasionally an apple).

It’s not something they should have much of or have very often. They can eat it but it is very acidic so should not be a regular item in the diet. One very tiny amount and only given very occasionally.
The acidity of it can lead to a potentially fatal lip infection called cheilitis

We don’t recommend carrot is in the diet. It can be a very small amount as a very occasional treat. Carrots (and fruit) are too sugary and can lead to gut issues if fed too much.

The main part of their diet must always be hay. It makes three quarters of what they need to eat in a day.
They can have one cup of veg and one tablespoon of pellets per day as well. They are just supplementary in the diet.

:agr: I’ve hardly ever fed tomatoes to my piggies. And carrots and apples are also something to be fed only occasionally & in very small quantities. The guides linked above are very helpful to refer to as you are learning about feeding your guinea pig.

Back