Toilet training

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerpig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My pigs have got a piggie toilet in the corner of the main area of their cage, (been there about 3 weeks) there is evidence of some use but either not everyone uses it or else they just use it if they happen to be sitting in it at the time LOL!

I always make sure a bit of soiled stuff goes back in it when I clean it out so they know what's expected. Is there anything else I could do to encourage them to go there?

They area quite clean girls really as nobody wees in the bedroom area or upstairs in the hutch, just in the main area and never any near the food so I'm not really grumbling, bless them :smitten:

I dont use a piggie toilet and never liked the idea so i dont know about that. P

iggies usually go in one corner, its just a waiting game until they get their bearings!

Some piggies do just go to the toilet everywhere...(pretzel) maybe its their scatty personality. Piggies are clean and its in their nature to keep it in the one place I think, they will sort themselves out! :)

Smileer said:
I dont use a piggie toilet and never liked the idea so i dont know about that. P

iggies usually go in one corner, its just a waiting game until they get their bearings!

Some piggies do just go to the toilet everywhere...(pretzel) maybe its their scatty personality. Piggies are clean and its in their nature to keep it in the one place I think, they will sort themselves out! :)

Why do you not like the idea smile? :) It's only a little corner tray with some shavings in and would, if they were to use it, keep their house nicer for them. It's lower at the front so they don't have to do the high jump to get in! Just interested in your thoughts thats all . . . :)

Amazons got one in the corner of her cage and shes getting the idea eventually,although her bladder just decides to open anywhere and anytime at the mo ::)
she wee'd on a towel last night,I put it on the washing pile and there wasnt one in the bathroom,sooooo the OH picked it up and asked if he could use it a sec,I didnt wanna say the piggy had wee'd on it... mwahahahaha

I put a box full of wood shavings in each of the piggies houses... the boys sleep in theirs but Cindy and the babies mostly do their business in there... its really good as it helps me with cleaning ;D

Puggies Rule said:
she wee'd on a towel last night,I put it on the washing pile and there wasnt one in the bathroom,sooooo the OH picked it up and asked if he could use it a sec,I didnt wanna say the piggy had wee'd on it... mwahahahaha

2funny 2funny 2funny Nice one shaz! ;D

wellll i was busy eating at the time,I couldnt speak with my mouth full could i ;) ;)

Just a personal preference...I like to keep my cages pretty clear and not have too much 'clutter' in them (excess toys, plastic stuff etc that isnt needed) especially if you only have one piggie and a lot of space....

Mine have quite a lot of stuff in already as you might have seen in my housing pics so i really dont want to add to it!

Also with mine pregnant I like to be able to see the whole bottom of the cage for strange goings on ;D

I just dont like the idea :-\

i tried using one of these but my boar star, just gets up the side of it and pushes it out from the corner, then it ends up in the middle of the hutch, but they did use it, and everywhere else too, so gave up.

I bought some piggy litter ( 1 box) and used it for a week

now i line the loo with paper a wee drop of shavings and some hay,

Puggies Rule said:

lmao ;D I'd have done the same!

I honestly don't know if mine go there for a wee or think it's a little cubby hole to sit in and just wee if they happen to be there! Has anyone got more than one or two piggies who all know how to use the lavvie?

i tried getting my boys to go in a box..haha who was kidding!?

they tipped the box over, played in the box, jumped over the box..and pee'd n pooped everywhere but IN the box lol

I tried using one of these a while ago but they just seemed to sleep in it a few pooped in it , it hooked ont he side of the run but they still got it off and threw it around , I find mine like to pope in their pigloos so when you lift it you get a ring of poop lol

Michellemuffin♥ said:
I tried using one of these a while ago but they just seemed to sleep in it a few pooped in it , it hooked ont he side of the run but they still got it off and threw it around , I find mine like to poop in their pigloos so when you lift it you get a ring of poop lol

yup I get the same prob too,all pushed up at the back lol

What kind of litter are you using? I use organic cat litter and mix in some hamster litter for the scent and my piggies use their pan a lot (there are no stores near me that sell piggie litter :(). You can never depend on the tray too much though, mine still use the cage a bit (maybe the line gets too long at the ladies room).

I had the tray for months before they got the picture and started using it for anything but a hiding place, but now they prefer it. I think it just takes patience. Now the tray is a godsend. It keeps their cage cleaner for much longer and I don't feel so bad when I take an extra day or two to clean their cage, because they are not having to smell their own piddles.

I got the piggy litter at P@H, If I remember right there was a picture of a giunea pig and a rabbit on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back