• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Toffee's passed away should we get a new friend for Treacle?

• Thread starter Thread starter stevieg
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevieg

We have an 11 month old boar who sadly lost his brother last weekend :'(. We are thinking of getting another guinea pig (so that he's not lonely), but are not sure of the best course of action. It seems (from reading this forum) that a way ahead could be to get a baby boy and gradually introduce them, however we're also concerned that in a few months when the baby has matured that he may challenge for dominance and so we could end up with two guinea pigs that don't get on. With Treacle and Toffee being our first pigs we don't have much experience to know the best way to go. If you are able to give us some advice we would be very grateful...Thanks.

Firstly I am really sorry for you loss. RIP Toffee.
Your best bet is probably to go to a rescue and take Treacle with you to let him choose a friend. Rescues are generally happy for you to do this. The other thing about rescues is that they will generally allow you to bring the piggie back if it doesn't work out.
You could also try to find a neutered sow though they are quite hard to come by.
Good luck.

i was in exactly the same situation 2 3-4 weeks ago, my shakey died and left his brother duke who is 10 months on his own, but idecided to get a baby boar i got archie who was 6 weeks when i got him, and they seem to get on ok, although archie keeps rumbling and duke doesnt like it he doesnt hurt him he just chases him around a bit and tells him who id boss, then they both sit together and eat hay or whatever happens to be in the cage at the time ;D

i would get him a new friend, he could spend years living alone, and the are sociable animals so in my opinion id get him a friend..you could always try and find a rescue near you and take him along to let him pick who he likes :)

I agree with what the others say.Where are you located?

Thanks for the advice :).
We live in Prescot near St Helens (Merseyside). We found a record for a rescue centre in St Helens from the internet but are not sure if this still exists (the phone number went through to someone's house, and no reply as yet from email). Are there any others in this area that you know of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back