To bond or not to bond?

ImmyH

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,
I would appreciate some opinions and thoughts.
I had two sows, Posey and Petal, and we tried to add a 3rd, Juniper. Unfortunately, bonding as a trio did work and Juniper ended up biting Petal. After that, Posey and Petal lived together and Juniper lived alone but side by side.

Sadly, we lost Petal last month and since then, Juniper and Posey have lived alone but side by side.
I have noticed over the last few days that both girls are spending most of the time nose to nose through the bars- they are always trying to get each other’s attention. Is it worth trying to bond? Last time the bonding failed, it wasn’t because these 2 fell out.
Silly as it sounds, the failed bond last time has shaken by confidence a bit and the last thing I want is for any more bites/ fall outs.

What would you do if you were me?

Just wanted to add, both girls are on a wait list for bonding at our local rescue. This will be about a 5 week wait though as they have a lot of boys who have just been neutered. Waiting for hormones to subside a little!
Long term plan is for 2 herds of 2 living side by side. ☺️

I think a neutered boar for each of them would be lovely if you have the space. That makes for a very stable bond and boars are such fun to have around. Although you can try and bond the girlies and then get a neutered boar for them?

It's your decision but personally I love that you could give a home to two (neutered) boars. I love having boars, they are very affectionate and expressive despite the bad press.

It's your decision but personally I love that you could give a home to two (neutered) boars. I love having boars, they are very affectionate and expressive despite the bad press.
You are right, they are so affectionate, silly and give a whole new angle on how happy piggies can be. I much prefer their personalities and their happy go lucky charm

I think a neutered boar for each of them would be lovely if you have the space. That makes for a very stable bond and boars are such fun to have around. Although you can try and bond the girlies and then get a neutered boar for them?

I have 2 12 ft c&c cages so I am hoping that would be enough room for either 2 sows or a sow and a husboar.

I completely fell in love with this gorgeous sow at the rescue who is the same age as Posey. She’s had a rubbish life so far and Posey is so gentle, I think it could be a good fit.
Looking for a husboar for Juniper and she has three eligible (neutered) bachelors to choose from so hopefully she will like at least one of them!

Thank you everyone- I think it’s quite raw losing a beloved pig and I am feeling all sorts of sadness and guilt about them being bored or lonely.
I’m sure that in reality they are more than happy as neighbours and not having to share snacks!

I am sorry to hear you lost Petal last month. Your girls are fine as they are, keeping each other company if you feel you are not ready to make a decision. Grief takes a while to work through and it's understandable that you have mixed feelings. Take your time to decide whether to try them together or not if you don't feel sure. It's lovely that you are going to give more piggies a loving home and I agree with the others that boars are great (I've got 6!). These things have a habit or working themselves out!

Back