tips on bonding older pigs

TNWApigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice. Up until recently, I had four guinea pigs housed in one room. Two were in a bonded pair and coexisted in the same cage, and two have to be housed in separated but still connected cages so they could all interact with each other through the bars. (So basically 2 pigs in one cage, 1 in one cage, and 1 in one cage all connected by C&C style grids).

One of the pigs in the bonded pair just passed and I am contemplating attempting to bond the remaining pig with one of the pigs previously housed on her own. They didn't get along previously which is one of the reasons the other was housed separately (she has some neurological issues and gets picked on by the larger herd), but I'm wondering if now that the social ladder has shifted, and because they are both older ladies (4 and 5 respectively) it might go differently this time?

At the same time because they are both older I don't want to put them through unnecessary stress... Does anyone have experience with any comparable situations, how did it go for you?

Hi

I agree.

You can try but please don't hold your breath; stop the bonding as soon you notice the grudge starting to build up again, which usually won't take more than a few minutes. :(

Yours are still very much in the middle age going towards pension age where sows are often at their grumpiest and not yet in the very old age where need for companionship can - sometimes - win out over old grudges; but that is around 6-8 years of age and even then you can count yourself lucky if it works out in my own ample experience...
I've had several old single widows preferring to get their social stimulation by running a mutual feud through the bars.

Piggies can really hang onto personal grudges!

Back