Tips on behavior and finding friends.

marshmallow2022

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig is super sweet with me, loves cuddles, has never tried to bite me, is always licking and nibbling me and loves when I pet him. Though not so much towards others, he has bitten everyone else who has ever let him smell their hand or tried to come too close, he runs from them and is very aggressive. When we tried to introduce him to godzilla he tried to bite him and ran to my lap. Overall he is a sweet and happy baby but doesn't like other piggies or people. He won't even let others hand feed him. I had him at the vet after he stayed with my mom while I was gone as she said he stayed in his hide out basically the whole time but the vet said he was perfectly fine and he seemed ok once I had him again.

I want to know if anyone has any tips to help marshmallow with other people for times when I go out of town or want to get him a buddy.

My guess is that it is not aggression, it could be fear. He doesn’t know them.
Also consider that piggies explore with their mouths so it’s not necessarily biting if it doesn’t draw blood.

He should have a compatible friend. Piggies need to be kept in pairs and a single piggy can be more worried about new situations without their cagemate for reassurance and support.

" Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Ok thank you, I am sure it's biting as he has drawn blood before, as well as when we introduced him to coco and honey. We introduced them in a neutral place and he just doesn't like them.

How old is he? Could you pair him with a little baby boy piggy? Or is there a rescue near you that could try bonding him with a friend?

The alternative, if you have the space, is to find him a friend he could live next door to if they don’t get on enough to live together.

How old is he? Could you pair him with a little baby boy piggy? Or is there a rescue near you that could try bonding him with a friend?
I'm not sure of his exact age, I got him about 4 months ago and they said it was said he was still a younger baby... I'm not sure of the exact age. Coco is a baby boy not too much younger then marshmallow and he still didn't get along with him. And rescues near me only have older adults that are females.

Back