Tips For Taming A New Pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavyloverxox

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hey so I am new to this site, I got my new pig gus 3 weeks ago, he's about 15 weeks old now, I am on the look out for a friend for him, he's really lovely, he doesn't bite or anything, he's just so scared :( when I pick him up he squeaks, not like a shriek but a quiet squeak, so I put him back down, he doesn't usually come out if I'm near the cage, he will take food from my hand but only if I put my hand in his hiddy house, also he doesn't seem interested in veg?!

hey so I am new to this site, I got my new pig gus 3 weeks ago, he's about 15 weeks old now, I am on the look out for a friend for him, he's really lovely, he doesn't bite or anything, he's just so scared :( when I pick him up he squeaks, not like a shriek but a quiet squeak, so I put him back down, he doesn't usually come out if I'm near the cage, he will take food from my hand but only if I put my hand in his hiddy house, also he doesn't seem interested in veg?!

I hope that you can find a friend for him that will help to bring out Gus. He is currently living on his prey animal reflexes and has likely never had anything in the way of veg in his life. Guinea pigs learn from their elders what is safe to eat and what not. As soon as he has a companion and sees him tucking in, he will learn to join in pretty quickly!
You may find our settling in and handling tips in the new owners guide collection helpful:
" Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

I hope that you can find a friend for him that will help to bring out Gus. He is currently living on his prey animal reflexes and has likely never had anything in the way of veg in his life. Guinea pigs learn from their elders what is safe to eat and what not. As soon as he has a companion and sees him tucking in, he will learn to join in pretty quickly!
You may find our settling in and handling tips in the new owners guide collection helpful:
" Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners
Thanks for replying, I'm currently looking at my local pet rescue

Thanks for replying, I'm currently looking at my local pet rescue

All the best! I wish we had at least one good rescue that offered boar dating in Scotland again!

Please take the time to look at the link; there are too many tips than I can pack into one post, but one of the treads has got "guinea pig whispering" ideas!

All the best! I wish we had at least one good rescue that offered boar dating in Scotland again!

Please take the time to look at the link; there are too many tips than I can pack into one post, but one of the treads has got "guinea pig whispering" ideas!
Thanks so much for your help!

Where gunieapigs are prey animals and they hate to be startled so I always talk to them in a low voice so they know I'm there . It takes so much time and patience , I've had my bits for three months and they've only just become really cuddly . Keep going with the handling and feeding ! You'll get there :luv::luv:

Where gunieapigs are prey animals and they hate to be startled so I always talk to them in a low voice so they know I'm there . It takes so much time and patience , I've had my bits for three months and they've only just become really cuddly . Keep going with the handling and feeding ! You'll get there :luv::luv:
Thanks for your help! My previous guinea pig, simba, he was so tame, I'm hoping gus turns out to be really cuddly:luv:

I know that I'm probably coming in a bit late but as you can see from my profile picture I have 4 female guinea pigs together, and really you should see how comfortable, energetic and talkative they are with each other (though there are those occasional moody struts from Gidget - the white piggy). And like it has been said above, guinea pigs are prey animals. These girls are around 4 months old now and I've had them for about 2 months and they're still not tame. One of them, Doris, even squeals every time I take her out for lap time and I feel so bad! It's not even small squeaks like yours makes but she seriously goes for it. Once she's in my arms she's absolutely fine and will even have a nap - it's the being caught bit she doesn't like.

They will all, most of the time, take veggies out of my hand and in my experience I've found that the dominant piggy tends to be the most timid in the group when it comes to me (i.e. Doris).

I really recommend rescues as said above by a lot of people, there you'll find some loving piggy who needs a good home - I just found a little girl at my local centre called Mistletoe who had been abandoned by her owner but I have to refrain from getting her unfortunately. She's seriously the cutest little thing :'(

I know that I'm probably coming in a bit late but as you can see from my profile picture I have 4 female guinea pigs together, and really you should see how comfortable, energetic and talkative they are with each other (though there are those occasional moody struts from Gidget - the white piggy). And like it has been said above, guinea pigs are prey animals. These girls are around 4 months old now and I've had them for about 2 months and they're still not tame. One of them, Doris, even squeals every time I take her out for lap time and I feel so bad! It's not even small squeaks like yours makes but she seriously goes for it. Once she's in my arms she's absolutely fine and will even have a nap - it's the being caught bit she doesn't like.

They will all, most of the time, take veggies out of my hand and in my experience I've found that the dominant piggy tends to be the most timid in the group when it comes to me (i.e. Doris).

I really recommend rescues as said above by a lot of people, there you'll find some loving piggy who needs a good home - I just found a little girl at my local centre called Mistletoe who had been abandoned by her owner but I have to refrain from getting her unfortunately. She's seriously the cutest little thing :'(
Hahahahah thanks for your reply, I actually live with my mum and she's a bit weird about me getting another piggy, but she will come round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back