• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tips for giving sub-q fluid?

4boipigs

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
This is a bit of a follow up to this previous post. After a CT scan, an ultrasound, and a consult with an internal medicine exotics vet, we believe my boar has cecal impaction...basically there is junk in his cecum that needs to get moving and this is why he's been so bloated. Along with some meds, I'm supposed to give sub-q fluids at home. They made it look so easy at the vet but today I tried it and had to poke my poor boy a few times until I got the needle in. Having him cry each time and try to run doesn't help. It's just me at home right now so I don't have anyone to hold him.

He's supposed to have 40 ml but he managed to wiggle away and get the needle out, so he only got 20 ml.

How can a single person wrangle a guinea pig and do this smoothly? I've watched a few Youtube videos, but I'm afriad I'm doing something wrong or I'll go too deep or whatever. He did bleed a little after, but I pricked him a lot because he'd cry out and I thought I had the needle in. If I have trouble again tomorrow, I'm going to have to return to the vet to show me again.

He's not supposed to have any treats right now, so the only thing I can distract him with is pellets.

Luckily, despite the torture, he went right back to eating and after I put him back in his cage.

I cant offer much in the way of advice, just reassurance that it's unlikely you're doing anything wrong!
I've not had to do fluids, which are unfortunately painful already, they have very thick skin, when I've had to give sub Q cartrophen injections they tended to scream and didn't like it at all, as again its painful getting through that skin.
It takes practice and confidence which will come in time!

Sorry, I can't help. I was a wuss when I had to inject antibiotics twice on a weekend in times before out-of-hours services so there was no nurse who could do it for me. The skin is surprisingly thick, especially as you have to get through it at a shallow angle and you have to brace for them screaming. I absolutely hated doing it.

Back