Tips for cleaning indoor cages needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fudgey

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have been given an indoor cage (which I will only be using in emergencies)

Its in good condition apart from 2 of the corners are quite heavily stained (brownish stains)

Does anyone know any good tips to get it totally clean?

Tracy

I will add white vinegar to my shopping list and see if it really does work.

(only got the malt stuff in the cupboard!)

I use white vinigar for cleaning my pens,and lots of household cleaning jobs as well.The white vinigar does not smell so "chip shop" as the malt! It is a natural antibacterial.

Yes... ive just started to use vinegar (thanks Kim & Aggie O0 ) after all the other stuff I used didnt work. Its cheaper too!
Its the best thing for those 'stubborn' stains! ;D Just give it time to work.

White vinegar will do the job really well. I got one of those really cheap toothbrushes, and once the vinegar had soaked into the stains for 5 minutes or so I gave it a little scrub with the toothbrush and it came off no problem. The smell goes when you rinse it out after too O0

:) SPH Supplies have Virkon and Comficlean and a couple of others that are antifungal and antiparasitic. I use Comficlean at the moment it works and the smell isn't overpowering either.

Whilst we are on the subject of "natural cleaning" products if any of you let your piggies run around indoors on the carpet like me, although I put towels down for those little accidents, I also sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on my carpets before I go to work twice a week and hoover up when I get in and it acts as a natural "shake & vac" without harming your pets it absorbs the smells etc. I have been doing this for years since I had a dog.

You can use malt - that works too! I buy the cheapest "value" stuff - it costs pennies - and just leave a few centimetres on for really bad stains and clean off a while later.

piglover said:
Whilst we are on the subject of "natural cleaning" products if any of you let your piggies run around indoors on the carpet like me, although I put towels down for those little accidents, I also sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on my carpets before I go to work twice a week and hoover up when I get in and it acts as a natural "shake & vac" without harming your pets it absorbs the smells etc. I have been doing this for years since I had a dog.

That worked really well when my son was sick all over my parents carpet too ;D Nothing else got the smell out..... :P

Apparently Talcum works the same but I wouldn't like to use it becuase of the perfume with the pets, I think they're all basically the same ingrdients its just that Bicarb is natural and has no perfume.
Good though eh?!

Well I'm very impressed with the white vinegar and will certainly be stocking up on it.
It's got rid of the staining completely.

Thanks guys Just needed a little bit of encouragement to try it.

Thats 2 fab tips there, vinegar and bicarb. I shall try those O0

lavenderjade said:
Thats 2 fab tips there, vinegar and bicarb. I shall try those O0
Sprinkle the bicarb on then add the vinegar warks a treat on many things ;)

Sprinkle the bicarb on then add the vinegar warks a treat on many things ;)
[/quote]

PS. I'm not getting the hang of editing am I!

What would you use that for cleaning the cage? It would fizz up wouldn't it? I may try that for that extra hard scaling - Thanks!

Ooh its like Kim & Aggie here!

The White Vinegar is a wonder Cleaner :D O0 O0 O0 Used it on our indoor cage which had 3 corners getting white and brown stains, let it stand for an hour, and Voila! instant results :o 98) Brilliant and very cheap.

Pigsmum :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back