Tips And Tricks To Saving Money

Harriet&Pets

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know iam a Newbe and a Wannabe, but I do a lot of Research!
Here are my tips on saving money.

Save cardboard tubes!You can make chew toys out of them!
Don't buy those ugly, small, and cheap play pens.Use chicken wire, or something of that sort.
Instead of buying fancy bowls, Buy small glass one's at the Dollar tree for a $1!
Don't buy dishes for veggies, You can just put it on a paper plate.

I think that's all for now!

and go to those shops selling cheap "items for home". Walk slowly among the departments and... think about a different use of those items :))
a cutlery tray (1€) can become a hay-rack
100_6648.webp
a bread-bin can become a loft
100_6589.webp

100_6790.webp
the ramp was made with an old flowerpot dish and some piece of anti-slipper mat (the one for the sink)
an old basket can become a hidey
100_6650.webp
a garden foldable fence can be useful for doing a safe room for piggies floor time
100_6688.webp
an old yoga mat can become a tunnel... well, actually it has become a toilet :(
100_6970 (2).webp

:)):)):))
and yes, as @Reenie says, forage is the best food we can give them for their health.

Can I add a couple? Forage for food when the weather is good, use newspapers instead of puppy pads, make your own cage accessories. :)
Of course!Thanks!

Can I pick grasses from my lawn, wash it,mane give it to my piggies?Its just regular grass.

Is Yarrow(leaves and flowers) ok for them?If so, how often?
Is Dandilion safe?If so, above.
Ay other things?

Oh I love this! Dealz (Poundland in the UK) is great for little bits and bobs! I got three ramekin dishes for €1. 50 which I use for her, and they also do toys for the cage too!

IMG_20170904_211021.webp

IMG_20170904_211231.webp

IMG_20170904_211245.webp

Of course!Thanks!

Can I pick grasses from my lawn, wash it,mane give it to my piggies?Its just regular grass.

Ay other things?
lucky you... of course you can cut, wash the grass and also keep it closed into a plastic bag into the fridge for 2 days...
Dandelion is appreciated; it is rich of calcium but mixed with common grass is very good. My piggies eat half bag of grass each day, sometimes more, sometimes less...
there are a lot of forages you can give them, but sometimes they don't like them...
Guinea Lynx :: Common Forages

I've got that hanging wooden thing.Unfortunatley the pigs weren't interested so I gave it to the hamster who destroyed it lol
Haha... I think she plays with it when I'm out of the room as it's always moved by morning!

Of course!Thanks!

Ay other things?
Just regular grass, so long as there are no other animals using it. Dog or fox pee can kill. I don't know what yarrow is, so can't comment, dandelion leaves are fine occasionally, but they are high in calcium so don't give them too often, and just a few leaves at a time. I also give strawberry leaves, plantain leaves, fruit bush leaves and clover. I always check before I try something new. There are lots more but these are the ones that grow in or around my small garden. Just check though as some things have different names in the UK and US. Happy foraging

Back