Tiny white maggot things?!

• Thread starter Thread starter KAZ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KAZ

I recently bought some meadow hay, and whilst changing the girls hay today I found several little white maggot things crawling on the vetbed! Urrrg!

I threw away the rest of the bag of hay and bought another from a different shop, when I got back I found one of these things crawling up the wall behind their cage which is in my lounge! I am totally assuming they came from the hay as there were several of them crawling in the hay on the vet bed...Has anyone ever had this prob?

I had a bad batch of hay a few years ago. It was vile! I didn't notice the maggotty things - we were suddenly swamped by a million tiny flies! yeuch! Hope you don't get any more! O0

Thanks for your reply, urrrg flies! Hope I have gotten rid of them all. thought I was doing right by the girls getting lovely fresh meadow hay, bit too fresh for my liking! LOL

Do you have a dmap wall flies could be laying on? As icky as it sounds :-\ ;D

Disinfect EVERYTHING! :)

This happened to me in the summer, there's nothing worse than having the odd worm crawling up your wall! The first time this happened i wasn't sure where they had come from and stupidly kept using the hay only to find one of the little b****rs hanging off my ceiling! The second time it happened the whole lot went straight in the bin and i haven't been back to that petshop since!

ewwww make sure you check their bottoms too I hate it when we get bad batches of hay :tickedoff:

Ewwww hadn't thought of checking their bottoms! The thought of those horrid things climbing into my girls bottoms makes my skin crawl! Never had a bad batch of hay before but it is the first and only time I used the local petshop couldn't make it to the nursery where I buy a huge bale for £5.50 this meadow hay I bought was £3.99 for a tiny bag and when i think of all the hastle it has caused me!

Will check their bottoms out when I clean them in the morning

Dazie how do i check their bottoms exactly...What am I looking for....sorry if I sound dense!

They might have worms - it might not be the hay - but saying that recently i had quite a few little flies all on the shed window and i keep killing them but the next morning theres loads more again :tickedoff:

i cant believe you pay £5.50 for a big bale of hay, i pay £2! :D and its always lovely and fresh not dusty or full of twigs or critters! but best of all its from the field at the end of my road direct from farmshop - got stuck and bought a tiny bag and my little boar reggie got eye infections from the dust and crap , and this cost me the same as 2 big bales, never buying pet shop hay again :tickedoff:

i buy medium bags from the market. its the freshest hay in town, and lovely long strands and nice and green, 85p a bag.

unfortunately for the first time ever they had run out today, and i was desperate, so had to buy wilkos hay :(

They definately not worms but maggots and found some on ceiling last night...totally gross!

So glad pigs are indoors or I probably would never have noticed them.

Am so worried about pigs now, will never forgive myself if something happens to them because of the hay that I bought :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back