Timothy Hay

Tiamolly123

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mine is rubbish from a local pet store. A while back you could get a sample of the hays boxed. Anyone know where you got them from. I know a lot of people recommended the hays. Anyone know the supplier of this?

You can try the hay box, timothy hay or hay & straw websites.

Not sure where you can get samples, but Haybox timothy is usually very good- they have a soft cut timothy that is lovely if your piggies dont like the stalky stuff, though mine mostly prefer the coarse stalky cut! Always very green anyway :)
The Haybox meadow hay is more variable, there was some poor stuff in April and May but the stuff that came in June must be fresh this year and is gorgeous and fluffy!

HayBox do a taster pack with the 4 different types of hay they sell. It’s free but you just pay for postage which I believe is £4.95. The timothy blend is my pigs favourite!

Agree the haybox meadow hay can vary, but my pigs love their timothy. Shop bought timothy doesn't compare.

I use to use natures own. Piggies much prefer haybox. I prefer it as its less dusty and the boxes are easier to deal with.

The sample boxes are great as it meant Nova and Luna could pick their own. They preferred Timothy soft cut so they have that now.

Not sure where you can get samples, but Haybox timothy is usually very good- they have a soft cut timothy that is lovely if your piggies dont like the stalky stuff, though mine mostly prefer the coarse stalky cut! Always very green anyway :)
The Haybox meadow hay is more variable, there was some poor stuff in April and May but the stuff that came in June must be fresh this year and is gorgeous and fluffy!
It’s got to be fairly soft Tia is constantly having eye poke. First she had a hay bag then she had meadow hay in a tray. Now I scatter it around there home.
How she has escaped blindness I don’t know. This time she had both eyes affected.
I put meadow hay in the tray. She will jump in it & bury herself.
I have told her not to bury her head but she won’t listen to me.
She’s just over 6 & at that age they think they know everything.
Oh well, out comes the cold boiled water & the cotton wool pads. 😖🤐

Can you get the hay out without a vet? I've seen hay being discovered by the vet all round the eyeball 🤢
I had a piggy who would get haypoke and in a way the haybox timothy is safer than meadow, I rush to flatten it before the pigs have a chance to shove their eyes in it, and then it stays flat on the cage, no burrowing possible. I get the least soft timothy. Then they have meadow for getting haypoke 🙄

Mine is rubbish from a local pet store. A while back you could get a sample of the hays boxed. Anyone know where you got them from. I know a lot of people recommended the hays. Anyone know the supplier of this?
I just received a large box of the Timothy 'Blend' and my piggies are devouring it! They were given it during their holiday at place where we rescued them from - she also looks after piggies while their owners are on holiday, and it's what she gave them. So I asked her where she gets it and ordered some - I've never seen them enjoy hay as much! So I will continue to get it for their feeding hay, and use a cheaper hay for their bedding.

The taster box has come, so funny to watch the piggies haven’t left it alone. They’ve gone crazy for the soft cut hay. My three boxes have arrived so I have to find somewhere to store them now

Back